The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Bloodline questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/bloodline-questions-106643/)

cmarie 12-19-2011 02:16 PM

Bloodline questions

Hi out there. I'm just starting to get into the paints just starting my herd.

I would like any input on these horses. The second one is HYPP N/N

APHA Mares: Rookies Fancy Galaxy #932637 Grulla tobiano, blue eyes
SHEZAOBVIOUSDIVA #976,595 Sorrel Tobiano
Blueberry Miles #881,902 Blue roan minimum overo
Tru Painted Indian #849,750 Black and white tovero, blue eyes

AQHA Mare: FQH Barbie Sol #3198598

APHA Stallion: HRS Midnite Romeo #266,499

Are there genetic problems in these lines other than the HYPP in the second mare. Like I said just getting started in the paints, have bred Icelandics for years.

thanks

animalartcreations 12-19-2011 03:31 PM

What are your goals for your new program? I don't see any glaring genetic flaws other than Impressive but without seeing the horses conformation and knowing what you want to do with them, I can't really offer much help. Some are on allbreedpedigree which gives you a clue on pedigree, but some aren't on there to review. I love paints and am familiar with some lines more than others. I can tell you that folks in my area stay clear of anything with Impressive on the papers unless they are showing and don't intend on breeding. The SHEZAOBVIOUSDIVA mare's pedigree would give the locals a heart attack even though she is HYPP/NN, but then again, there aren't too many halter people around here.

cmarie 12-19-2011 04:09 PM

Thanks for the input.
That little filly was a rescue not even sure if she's going to be anything but a pasture pet, the lady I got her from said she had broken a shoulder as a 4 month old on her left side she had her stalled in a stall that was about 8 by 6, for 4 months, shoulder healed well, but then with the lack of exercise the right knee/leg is now crooked bad, when I got her both knees where about the size of cantaloupes, she was severely under weight, by the look of the knees it appeared to be joint ill to me, I got her home, put her in a large pen and the poor thing couldn't even run without almost falling on her face. Then 3 days later poor thing comes down with strangles, got her through all that put weight on her her leg did straighten some as she grew alittle now were working on shoeing to see if we can get any more straightening. It's really to bad that she was injured she now has a really nice sliding stop when she turned out to play, but I don't know if I should even attempt to start her. She's a real sweetheart loves everybody.

As for what I plan on doing with these guys, Romeo has speed in his background, he's very calm and level headed, easy to handle, he has produced some competitive babies in the past, before I got him. He was never shown he was a working ranch horse. Basically I want to produce nice disposition, conformation, colored babies for the average person, that likes to do the local rodeo/show thing. Color really sells here, and a few of the mare have local well known sires. My AQHA mare is the bulldog type 1/4 wide as she tall, sweet as calm as can be. My Tru Painted Indian mare was started as a jumper and can tuck those legs over the fences. Blueberry Miles is very tall long and lean like a TB and very calm and sweet. The other paint mare is long and tall also very nice looking mare, but can be a B@!$^, I'm hoping breeding her this spring will calm her down.

animalartcreations 12-19-2011 05:42 PM

Bless you for taking in a rescue. They are a lot of work, but they deserve the love.

The horse market is in the tank right now so I would be very picky about breeding, especially for the middle of the road market. It's a combination of bad economy and insanely high hay prices. Tough times. If you can train your own horses, you are at an advantage. Research research research. :)

Macslady 12-19-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by animalartcreations (Post 1272016)
What are your goals for your new program? I don't see any glaring genetic flaws other than Impressive but without seeing the horses conformation and knowing what you want to do with them, I can't really offer much help. Some are on allbreedpedigree which gives you a clue on pedigree, but some aren't on there to review. I love paints and am familiar with some lines more than others. I can tell you that folks in my area stay clear of anything with Impressive on the papers unless they are showing and don't intend on breeding. The SHEZAOBVIOUSDIVA mare's pedigree would give the locals a heart attack even though she is HYPP/NN, but then again, there aren't too many halter people around here.

Just curious how you found out the SHEZAOBVIOUSDIVA is N/N. Just looking for more places to get this info since our area is pretty rich with Impressive.

cmarie 12-19-2011 06:22 PM

I know the market is bad, and hay prices are very high I go through at least 30 bale a week to feed my horde. I can train basics, but I'm not in to showing and rodeo thing, I can train a great trail horse, that's what I enjoy, getting to old to rodeo stuff and have someone for the first few rides, my old body just can take the falls like it used to pain hurts now.

I've rescued a few horses from bad situations and brought them around, with love and patience and food. I'm a sucker for a sob story. Once you find the spot they liked to be scratched it's pretty easy from there, and I talk to all mine and they talk back, I even have my neighbors horses calling to me when I go outside. All my horses are like big dogs, I go in the field and get swarmed by them. They all have to have their scratches and hugs.

cmarie 12-19-2011 06:51 PM

www.bringingtolighthypp.org is a web site that has most Aqha horses on the lists either positive or negative it also has some paints on it also. I am going to get her tested anyway to be sure, because she has so many positives in her history. Both parents are listed negative so I'm just wasting my money on the test but it is documentation in hand. And this little mare may end up a pasture pet because of her injuries. Please note this website can be temperamental it may take more than once to get it to load.

nrhareiner 12-19-2011 07:37 PM

Truthfully I would not be breeding most of those horses. I am just not seeing anything in their pedigree that screams breed me. I am of the mind that you have ONE good mare breed her to the best stallion you can afford and go from there. IN the end you will end up doing better in just about every way that counts. It is not about the numbers you put on the ground but the quality. Regardless if color sells or not at the end of the day if you get a rep for being nothing but a color breeder those buyers will go to anouther breeder.

cmarie 12-19-2011 08:29 PM

I don't care about numbers put on the ground, I don't really care about color either there's no bad color for a good horse, what I like is the calm level head horse you can do anything with. If I was into the rodeo thing I could take my paint stud to the local rodeo and come out with money and points, because he's a real cow horse that's how he earned his keep, but I'm not the only I could rope is myself. I don't plan to bred to the outside.

So, in your opinion which mare is it I should breed? NRHAREINER

nrhareiner 12-19-2011 08:59 PM

Decide exactly what it is you want out of your program and saying I want good level headed horses who can do anything is not picking what you want out of the resulting foals. That should be a given. I am talking about WP or Cutting roping reining reined cow horse ect... Then go and buy the best bred and proven mare you can find and then breed her to the best stallion who crosses the best on her for the same type of foal. Then you build from there. Buying 10 horses who are just Ok is not a good way to build a program.