The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What is the best way to groom? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-best-way-groom-106650/)

XxthehorseloverxX 12-19-2011 03:25 PM

What is the best way to groom?

Hello!

At the stable where I help out people have told me to groom 2 different way. Circleing strokes and straight brushing. what is the right one?

Also how much pressure should you put on the horse. I think you put different amount of pressure on a horse with a thick coat or a thin or clipped coat.

Thanks! :hug:

DuffyDuck 12-19-2011 03:27 PM

Circular motions should be used initially with a curry comb to release dirt, grime and old fur. Grooming with a body brush should be in line with the fur.

And you are correct, differenents amount of elbow grease for different lengths of fur.

XxthehorseloverxX 12-19-2011 03:39 PM

Thanks! :lol::lol::lol::lol: ( i love this face! )

Corporal 12-19-2011 04:00 PM

Staright line grooming is for general, all over body grooming, and a Dandy brush is very good for this. You run the brush and flick, a lot like when you hand broom a floor. On the face many people prefer a fine bristle face brush. I also like to "hand-groom" the face with pebble gloves, and my horses love this. When you need to remove dirt you can switch to a rubber or a metal curry. I would avoid using a metal curry on the face or legs, but small rubber currys do a nice job. Some folks prefer a plastic brush with fine bristles, too. Others like those big, round rubber brushes with big, fat "cones" on them, and many swear by them.
After a workout I massage wherever the tack touched the horse. I use a small rubber curry and vigorously brush in circles, then brush smooth in the direction of the hairs. I figure that my horse must feel like we do when we've worn something snug all day. In the summer I dip the brush in water with some Mane and Tail shampoo to clean and cool off the sweaty coat, again where the saddle, breastplate, crupper and bridle make contact.

Almond Joy 12-19-2011 06:25 PM

Whenever I groom, I first pick the horse's feet, then curry comb in circular motions... Then I use a soft brush and start at the withers, then go down the back then down their flank to their under-belly. I then brush their tail a little, then brush their mane and forelock. Then I do some touchup and if their is any dirt on their face, I just rub it off with my hands. also, after a ride, I get the sweat off them with a towel, or you could use a sweat scraper.

highlander 12-19-2011 06:45 PM

Circles and then straights. Also with a good grooming routine you can get a lovely shine up. I was taught not to use a curry comb on horses as we had the metal ones and their for cleaning brushes.
Posted via Mobile Device

VelvetsAB 12-19-2011 07:28 PM

I say:

Personal preferance. I brush in sweeping straight lines to get dust and dirt off, or short swift strokes for mud and manure.

Pressure depends on the horse... Some horses do not like a lot of pressure, or have thin skin, so you have to have a softer touch, and a softer brush.

My lesson horse loves his face brushed HARD, to the point I can lean into him, and he is in happy bliss. Another lesson horse hates her face brushed, so i go super soft brush, with as few of strokes as possible.

XxthehorseloverxX 12-20-2011 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone!