The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hole in heel bulb? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hole-heel-bulb-106683/)

caseymyhorserocks 12-19-2011 09:14 PM

Hole in heel bulb?
 
So, a couple days ago, Casey's heel bulb got a hole/crack in it. She is barefoot, and it is not a crack like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nI2TFE56M6...s+hoof+918.jpg
It is on her left front hoof heel bulb. If you follow the groove in the middle of the frog into the heel bulb, that's where it is. Basically, in that area, the heel bulb is peeling away. I spray Apple Cider Vinegar/Betadine mix onto her hoof to treat and prevent thrush, I recently started doing this for the first time a month ago, but I would think it would be on more than one hoof and would have happened sooner if that was the problem. What could it be?? Should I talk to the farrier? It doesn't hurt her when I press it with my thumb. It is about a little more than 1/4 inch. It is not the frog, it is the heel. Thanks a bunch! I will try to get pictures soon.

farmpony84 12-19-2011 09:33 PM

I can't really tell from the picture but it could be an abscess that blew out...

caseymyhorserocks 12-20-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 1272424)
I can't really tell from the picture but it could be an abscess that blew out...

The picture isn't of Casey's hoof, I showed it to show what her hoof doesn't look like. I will try to take pictures today.

Speed Racer 12-20-2011 01:34 PM

Sounds like she blew out an abscess.

loosie 12-20-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1273131)
The picture isn't of Casey's hoof, I showed it to show what her hoof doesn't look like. I will try to take pictures today.

:lol: Yeah, sorry, but you could send a heap of pix of what it isn't like, without telling much!

I too am guessing it's an abscess that blew out there, or it could be thrush. If your horse is in a 'thrushy' environment or otherwise at risk, I'd consider opening it up, but of course that depends on exactly where/how it is too. I think ACV is a reasonable preventative for thrush, but if she's got it &/or she's in a bad environment, you may have to go to heavier 'artillery'. Betadine/iodine is good at killing stuff that's there on the surface, but not really good as a preventative or such, as it deactivates when it comes in contact with dirt & such - doesn't keep on keeping on. I've also found that t-tree oil can be effective. Soaking in strong saline is good too.

caseymyhorserocks 12-20-2011 07:36 PM

So should I call the vet or farrier and talk to them? I don't have much experience with abscesses.

I put her on that stuff as she had thrush, and it has gone away, and she does have a damp environment, but it is a lot better than most horses around me, and IMO it isn't that bad.

loosie 12-20-2011 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If there's a split there, if it was an abscess, it's been & gone. If it looks like it could cause further injury, I'd get a farrier out to clean it up if you're not confident to do it yourself, but otherwise, I'd just keep treating/preventing infection.

Attached is a pic of a horse who had a small heel abscess - it was just a small crack - but she ripped it open on something before I came to trim her. I just cut the flap off and the owner soaked it daily in a strong saline for a week or so, to prevent infection while it healed.

caseymyhorserocks 12-20-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1273715)
If there's a split there, if it was an abscess, it's been & gone. If it looks like it could cause further injury, I'd get a farrier out to clean it up if you're not confident to do it yourself, but otherwise, I'd just keep treating/preventing infection.

Attached is a pic of a horse who had a small heel abscess - it was just a small crack - but she ripped it open on something before I came to trim her. I just cut the flap off and the owner soaked it daily in a strong saline for a week or so, to prevent infection while it healed.

Huh, yeah, it doesn't exactly look like that, I should have said it isn't bleeding, or even really open, just the surface area is peeling away in a small area. Also, it seems like I can see it starting to develop very slightly on a hind leg, so I will defiantly call the farrier and talk to her.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0