The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Could I have her ready by then? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/could-i-have-her-ready-then-106684/)

MangoRoX87 12-19-2011 09:16 PM

Could I have her ready by then?

At our local round up club meeting, one of the heads of a Cowboy Church nearby mentioned that the OK Cowboy Churches would be having a ranch rodeo, and that their church was trying to put together teams.
My filly is about to turn 5, and has already had professional training with a sorting trainer. She's all leg control (for the most part), turns really well, has a nice whoa, pivots, side passes, lead changes, does lateral movement, etc. and is great in rodeo environments.

The first rodeo won't be for like 5 months. Do you think I could have her ready by then?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cinnys Whinny 12-19-2011 09:20 PM

I think with a good work out regimen you definitely could. Be sure not to over work her, but you want to get her muscles developed. Also, find different games and exercises you can do with her at home while you ride to keep her brain working, like randomly going around cones or barrels, or make up your own patterns in your head and try to make her do them. I know it's not going after 4 legged critters, but she will still have to concentrate on you and what you are telling her to do instead of just following a path around an arena.

Make sure she has a good, balanced diet and gets properly warmed up and cooled out to prevent illness and injuries while you are getting her ready.

MangoRoX87 12-19-2011 09:24 PM

Thanks!! She went to a sorting trainer just so he could finish her training of and prepare her as my drill horse, I don't think she ever saw any cows haha:)
Would it be bad to take her to a track and fully let her out? I can't do it at my property very easily.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cinnys Whinny 12-19-2011 09:32 PM

I would stay away from the track unless you are training her to run on a track, there is just way too much that could go wrong (foot and leg injuries aren't pretty). Finding a public arena or neighbor with a riding area that would allow you to periodically use or rent it would be more beneficial. Your horse doesn't only need to work on going fast, but also needs to keep working on balance and agility. You won't really get that on a track.

MangoRoX87 12-19-2011 09:36 PM

Yeah that's true..any certain things I should practice when actually working the pattern or with barrels? I've worked on pockets and spirals, but only at a walk and trot since my barrels are on grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cinnys Whinny 12-19-2011 09:40 PM

I would keep it mixed up and not work the same patterns over and over. I'm not really a reining rider, or rodeo person but I think it applys to all riding where you want your horse to have split second response to anything you ask. If you do the same thing over and over, they start to anticipate which isn't really being responsive and has the horrible side effect of them doing the routine thing even though you have asked them to do something different (if you always turn right, then left, then halt and then one day you ask for right, left, right...you might get a halt or hesitance when you ask for that last "right"). Think on your feet and make it up as you go so that your horse has to constantly pay attention and think on their feet. If you feel your horse anticipating or doing something before you ask, ask for something completely different, even if it's not what you originally were going to do, just so your horse learns NOT to anticipate.

MangoRoX87 12-19-2011 09:48 PM

Alright, I'll work on finding my missing 4th barrel (hhhhheeere barrel barrel barrelll..)And do some different exercises:P
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 12-20-2011 12:03 AM

Look up some of the videos of Sherry Cervi riding her horses (Training tips for Dinero, Chappi, and Harley are on there somewhere)

I think you definately could have her ready, but looking at some of the excersizes she does really made my first filly work great after awhile.

MangoRoX87 12-20-2011 09:38 AM

Thanks!!
I currently ride her in a twisted snaffle for drill and a smooth snaffle at home...I would be able to just keep her in the smooth snaffle right? Even for rodeos?

mls 12-20-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1272827)
Thanks!!
I currently ride her in a twisted snaffle for drill and a smooth snaffle at home...I would be able to just keep her in the smooth snaffle right? Even for rodeos?

AQHA implemented the rule that if you use two hands, you must ride in a snaffle for penning and sorting. Since many don't change bits for events, the snaffle is all most use. The mouth piece is up to you.