The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Weight gain needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/weight-gain-needed-106699/)

Joey2011 12-20-2011 12:05 AM

Weight gain needed

Any advise will be great, I have just bought a 15.3 T/B gealding, 7yrs. When I went to look at him he looked terrorble, bones sticking out in most places, he was getting 1 feed a day of chaff i think, was not really listening as i was thinking more about organising how i was going to get him to his new home. Hard to catch, scared of everything, Four days after being at his new paddock the change was unreal, he is so friendly & thinks the whole feeding 2 times a day, rugging & love is great. I've had his teeth and feet done and both said time & attention will make him into a great mount. The pic is 2 weeks after I got him, he put on weight good but now 5 weeks on has stopped. I been looking at the Pryde's Rebuild but what else am I ment to feed with it? I have been out of the horses for years as I had my family, and when I did have them it was more about trying to stop them from eating not putting on weight.

MySissyGirl 12-20-2011 12:08 AM

Calf-Manna

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-20-2011 12:15 AM

It looks like Pryde's has a full line of feeds that you could use with the Rebuild. Rebuild reads like it's a supplement of rice bran oil, so I'd look for a well balanced complete feed that you could add the Rebuild to. Horses normally eat around 20 lbs of hay per day, so I'd free feed a grass hay of some type that 's locally available to you and then I'd feed the Pryde's ration that sounds like it would meet your horses needs well and use the Rebuild for extra calories that won't make him hot. Remember that if you want your horse to weigh 1400 lbs and he's currently at 900 lbs, you should be building up to feeding him the amount required to maintain 1400 lbs. Sometimes the feed instructions on the bags aren't real clear about that when you need to get a horse to gain.

I hope this is useful, if you need more help let me know, I'll be happy to try to help you figure out the feedings.

From your syntax, I'm guessing your in Britain or Australia or at least, not in the US, so maybe don't have access to the same feeds we do.

HarleyWood 12-20-2011 12:49 AM

i used a supplement for weight gain it worked well fast so now i have an almost full 5lb bucket of supplements... and normal weight horses.

SueNH 12-20-2011 04:48 PM

Rice Bran, I like the pellets rather than the oil or mash. No reason other than neater.

Beet Pulp

Feed designed for senior horses with high fat content.

If you don't mind the goo then a cup of vegetable oil added to his feed. Start with a smaller amount and work your way up.

xxGallopxx 12-20-2011 05:27 PM

My horse was 200-300lbs underweight when I bought him. Here's what I did: First he was on 2 flakes of brome hay and 2 quarts of purina strategy per day. It helped him gain about 50lbs. Then, I bumped him up to 3 flakes of hay per day, and 3 quarts of purina strategy per day. He gained approx 75lbs. He of course, still needed some more weight. So I put him on a weight supplement (Farnam Weight Builder) It REALLY helped him. He's a great weight now. 1100lbs. Keep in mind though, my horse was healthy, UTD on wormer, shots, farrier visits etc... This is just what I did, every horse is different. But I would recommend adding a weight supplement and some extra hay.

Joey2011 12-21-2011 02:07 AM

Thanks to all, I have added Lucerne chaff, small amount of Rebuild, easi oil & half hay in morning and night. Trying this out till end of rebuild bag then see where he is at. I will still be glad for any advise, I'm in Australia.:-)

ladybugsgirl 12-21-2011 02:38 AM

I wish I could send you some of my horses fat he needs to loose about 100 pounds
Posted via Mobile Device

Beauseant 12-21-2011 09:25 AM

We used Cool Calories and a probiotic supplement on our OTTB....fattened him up really well!

Disclaimer: This is what worked for OUR horse. I did not claim it worked for every horse, everywhere, neither by direct statement nor implication.

Peggysue 12-22-2011 11:02 AM

Free choice hay and a good vitamin mineral supplement and a good fat supplement. Let me do some digging and find my list of stuff for down there that I had