The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Appraise this Saddle? Un-heard of brand? (

nherridge 12-20-2011 12:18 AM

Appraise this Saddle? Un-heard of brand?
This is a "Bona Allen" saddle as I have found marked. It seems to be in good condition. Nice, nice leather, good solid tree (although flattening? hard?) and all solid stitching.

This saddle was given to me by non-horsey people and I don't ride english ... haha I'd like to sell it, but don't know much about it. It has NO knee rolls/thigh blocks.

What would it be worth?

english saddle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
seat, round cantle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
billets | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
back of saddle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I can get more pictures if need be. Any info would be greatly appriciated!

kitten_Val 12-20-2011 08:11 AM

Does it say "Bona Allen" anywhere on saddle? All googling I tried out of curiosity (as I've never heard of brand) brings up Western saddles, not English.

Clava 12-20-2011 08:20 AM

It looks very old to me and is of an out dated style, with very flat panels. I used to have a similar pony saddle when I was a kid which was old then and that's over 30 years ago.

iridehorses 12-20-2011 08:35 AM

Bona Allen was a very respected name in leather during the first half of the 20th century. They were particularly known for their Western saddles but I've never heard of an English saddle produced by them.

nherridge 12-20-2011 08:44 AM

Yes it does say Bona Allen. Which is why I was also confused. I found western too ... I can try to take a picture of the makers mark. Its right by the stirrup hook thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 12-20-2011 10:11 AM

I guess I'm wrong and it isn't, but it almost looks like a saddleseat saddle to me.

sullylvr 12-20-2011 10:14 AM

^ first thought that crossed my mind too, but I wouldn't know anything about saddleseat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 12-20-2011 10:24 AM

Nope, not a saddleseat saddle. It looks to be an older GP type of saddle.

Saddeseat saddles are really flat, and have long, straight flaps. That saddle has a deeper seat and more forward flaps.

These are saddleseat saddles:

sullylvr 12-20-2011 10:32 AM

ah ha I see the difference now!
Posted via Mobile Device

nherridge 12-20-2011 10:34 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome