The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   horse photography: what kind of flash for indoor arenas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/horse-photography-what-kind-flash-indoor-106733/)

LaVidaLoca 12-20-2011 12:41 PM

horse photography: what kind of flash for indoor arenas?

Hey ya'll.

I am a semi-beginner in outdoor photography and recently have taken the job on getting practice with my photography at a barn i ride at.

I understand quite a bit with outdoor photography and the lighting but when it comes to indoor photography, i cant seem to get enough light in my pictures. I mainly take pictures of horses going over jumps. it's an indoor arena with very low lighting. pictures are too dark or too grainy from my iso.

i was told by my coach and the owner i need a strobe flash for (already knew i needed a flash) taking pictures with horses indoors. mainly because it spooks the horses with any other flash. i was told by another horse photographer that any flash will work.

so my question to you all is: is there anyone out there that can help me with what kind of flash i can get for my nikon camera? without spooking the horses while going over jumps?????????

*i would be standing about 20 feet away from the horse with my potential new flash.

equiniphile 12-20-2011 12:46 PM

I would contact JustDressageIt--she's an excellent equine photographer and probably has some advice for you.

LaVidaLoca 12-20-2011 01:25 PM

thanks!!! :D

LaVidaLoca 12-20-2011 11:15 PM

anyone else have any other suggestions or answers?

Pyrrhic 12-21-2011 02:28 AM

You didn't say what kind of camera you're using, but before you go for a flash try and work with the camera. Raise your ISO setting, set your aperture to the widest setting and use a lens with a wide maximum aperture and also maybe use a continuous shooting mode. If you've done all of these are still not happy then look at introducing a flash.

LaVidaLoca 01-04-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrrhic (Post 1274064)
You didn't say what kind of camera you're using, but before you go for a flash try and work with the camera. Raise your ISO setting, set your aperture to the widest setting and use a lens with a wide maximum aperture and also maybe use a continuous shooting mode. If you've done all of these are still not happy then look at introducing a flash.

i actually did say what kind of camera i am using. its a nikon specifically a d60. and ive stated i've been using no flash and have been playing with my iso and aperature (my pictures are too dark and grainy=iso being high). hence the reason, i need a flash because i am not getting enough light in my camera to capture a bright enough picture.

again, anyone out there that can help me with what kind of flash to use?
preferably anyone that takes pictures of horses indoors with them moving and going over jumps?

LaVidaLoca 01-04-2012 05:09 PM

i actually JUST got a newer camera a nikon D5100... any suggestions?

Evansk 01-04-2012 06:22 PM

go to Learn to Take Photos Online - Digital Photography Courses

they offer great courses online to teach you how to take equine photos...

countercanter 01-04-2012 06:27 PM

If you do end up purchasing an external flash, I would also invest in a flash diffuser. portrait photographers use them to get softer pictures and reduce harsh shadows and over exposed subjects. One local photographer where I live uses one because it also reduces the, "bang" I guess, of the flash. Other photographers I know have what kind of look like umbrella flash reflectors set up around the arena that are triggered to go off when they take a picture so they can be sure to get enough light when and where they need it.

Pyrrhic 01-04-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaVidaLoca (Post 1293744)
i actually did say what kind of camera i am using. its a nikon specifically a d60. and ive stated i've been using no flash and have been playing with my iso and aperature (my pictures are too dark and grainy=iso being high). hence the reason, i need a flash because i am not getting enough light in my camera to capture a bright enough picture.

again, anyone out there that can help me with what kind of flash to use?
preferably anyone that takes pictures of horses indoors with them moving and going over jumps?

Where on earth did you say you were using a Nikon D60? You said a Nikon, the range is huge, hence why I asked. I'm sorry I wasted my time replying to your thread with some suggestions for you to try.