The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Drafts for trail riding?? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/drafts-trail-riding-106743/)

ahalleyscomet 12-20-2011 02:25 PM

Drafts for trail riding??

I am looking at getting a new horse and I just wanted to know what people thought of drafts for trail riding?? Which breed has the best temperament?? And really anything else that might be helpful in choosing a new companion.

InStyle 12-20-2011 02:47 PM

I have 2 clydesdales and an Arab/Percheron x and I have used the clydes for trail riding. Went on a 2wk trail ride with one! The Percheron/Arab isn't broke yet but when he is, he will also be a trail horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saranda 12-20-2011 02:54 PM

If that helps, I have a Latvian Warmblood, light draft type. He is not exactly your typical draft horse, but he is perfect for trail riding - endurant, calm, brave, enjoys trails and new experience, as well as most horses of his breed I know.
Drafts in trails make me think of safety and peace. :)

amp23 12-20-2011 03:15 PM

I work with a few drafts doing trail rides on the beach and they do great. Nice and laid back and pretty well behaved (minus our 4 and 6 year old perch crosses who are still learning!) I knew of another place that I've gone to that had a few clyd crosses that were awesome on trails. They all have their own personalities so just make sure that wherever horses you test out enjoy the trails :)

bubba13 12-20-2011 03:20 PM

Just keep in mind that drafts do not have the endurance of other breeds.

InStyle 12-20-2011 03:27 PM

I personally think that depends on the horse. My drafts can last longer then my friends QHs BUT mine are worked on a regular basis , be it riding or driving. Where as my friend rides maybe weekly.

And a good draft should have endurance, its just not the same endurance as a worked QH.
Posted via Mobile Device

DutchFeather 12-20-2011 04:08 PM

Check out this blog:
The Jumping Percheron

The percheron in that blog is used for eventing and is in AMAZING shape. With the right conditioning, a draft horse can have the same endurance as any other horse. They are required to have endurance for the work they were bred for. Our Belgians work all day in the hayfield all summer and in the woods logging in the winter. I also took my 17y/o Belgian gelding on a 15 mile trail ride and he did fantastic, didn't even work up a sweat and we trotted most of it.

For a trail horse, a Draft is an excellent choise because they usually have more mellow personalities and are more sure footed. As for the breed, it is personal preference. I'm a Belgian owner so I say Belgians. A Percheron owner will tell you Percherons... Etc. I wouldn't worry about breed and would just find a horse that fits you and your needs.

kait18 12-20-2011 04:09 PM

drafts are good for trail just remember they are generally taller which means you might have to duck more often ;p

franknbeans 12-20-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1273332)
drafts are good for trail just remember they are generally taller which means you might have to duck more often ;p

Exactly ehat I was going to say......and make sure your friends remember and don't leave you in the dust when you are bushwhacking! lol. Mine are great, and my horse -well, I just hide my face in his neck and he goes....then my friends tell me when I can sit up again......truly a site to behold...:wink:

Saranda 12-20-2011 04:27 PM

Also, with a large horse, you have to consider how will you be re-mounting him in case of getting off in the middle of a ride. :)