The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   What are the best Dressage saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/what-best-dressage-saddles-106747/)

Showjumper1 12-20-2011 03:47 PM

What are the best Dressage saddles?

I've done english riding and jumping for a little while but I'm going to get into dressage as well, but I'm new to it and I'm not familiar with the best brands in tack to buy. I'm looking to buy a leather saddle as well as a bridle. What are the best brands for these?

Also, I'm not really into the wintec brand, so any other suggestions would be great. Thanks :wink:

DuffyDuck 12-20-2011 04:14 PM

I always look for saddles that have good re-market value. Obviously comfort for horse and rider is important, but well known brands like kieffer and stubben I know sell very well, even if you buy a second hand one, reselling that will bring in the money.

Valentina 12-20-2011 04:24 PM

The best brand saddle is one that puts the rider into the proper position (no chair seats, etc.) and fits the horse. I prefer saddle which can have their trees adjusted so as the horses topline changes you just adjust the tree rather than look for a new saddle.

Hennig is one of the best, but is very pricey, so I have the Verhan Odyssey I (Not the Hanover since that tree can NOT be adjusted).

Verhan? Saddlery ? Dressage Saddles ?
Mahtowa Meadows - Specializing in Gently Used European Saddles for Dressage, Jumping, & All-Purpose including Hennig Saddles, Barry Swain, and more

Dressage saddles are usually larger in the seat than jumping saddles (e.g. I ride in a 17" jumping saddle and an 18" dressage saddle - both have deep seats), so sit in the saddle you are interested in and make certain it fits you (seat, twist and length of flap) and the horse (tree).

Showjumper1 12-20-2011 06:03 PM

Thanks guys for your advice :).

cakemom 12-20-2011 06:06 PM

Valentina said it best. My fave saddle I have is my stubben.
Posted via Mobile Device

Showjumper1 12-20-2011 06:06 PM

Now for Bridles, is Suffolk any good? Or is the leather cheap?

equiniphile 12-20-2011 06:38 PM

I don't have any personal experience with Suffolk, but I know people who are happy with their products.

I love my Courbette Luxor dressage saddle, but unfortunately it's too big for me. If you're looking for an 18" anytime soon, let me know ;-). I've also heard great things about County saddles, and my Equi-Bette synthetic is nice as well.

tinyliny 12-20-2011 07:02 PM

It depends on the price range. There are good dressage saddles in lower ranges, and some in very much higher. For example. My dressage saddle is a Klimke. It is about 1200$ new. myabe a bit more. It is NOT a great saddle, but it is a good saddle. I bought it second hand for 450. I have used it for years on many different horses. If money were more plentiful, I would buy a Passier, as I find the narrow twist most wonderful.

kitten_Val 12-20-2011 07:53 PM

Jumper, the best saddle is what fits your horse and your own butt. :wink:

Say, Stubben fits neither me nor my horses (plus put me in wrong position). However my cheaper Thornhill Vienna is great and I really like it (use it for over year every day). M Toulouse has a nice dressage saddle for a good price. If you have money for more expensive brands you can look into Passier, County, Black Country. KN, Courbette and Kieffer are other nice brands I can think of. So it really depends.

Personally I don't like Wintec and it was a bad fit for my horse anyway.