The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How do I get this under control?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-do-i-get-under-control-106804/)

twh 12-20-2011 11:25 PM

How do I get this under control?!

In April my mare's hooves were a cracked, brittle mess. I applied hoof dressing weekly but did not put her on a supplement right away because my farrier for some reason did not think it was necessary. Over the summer her hooves got worse and to the point where they could not hold a shoe for more than three weeks if even that. I put her on a hoof supplement in October.

Now her hooves are in better shape, still a few small cracks here and there, they're not by any means healthy yet but they can hold a shoe for the full 6 weeks.

A week ago, I found that her frog suddenly developed massive cracks and is dry as a bone. I can't tell if it bothers her or not. Her frogs maybe had been dry, but stayed in one piece and never cracked like this.

Here I thought I was getting somewhere, and with her hoof wall I think I am, and her frog suddenly splits into the Grand Canyon! Does anyone have any ideas on what to do about this?

I don't have any photos of her hooves, but if anyone's interested I can take photos tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 12-21-2011 01:54 AM

#1. Talk to your farrier and see what they think about the frog cracking and dry hoof. Has you farrier said anything about how to help your horse's hoof stop cracking and get healthier? If it has been cracking since summer, and your farrier has not given you any advice on healing your horse's hoof, I would seriously consider switching farriers.

#2. I would go barefoot, there are so many stories about people trying almost everything with horses that have terrible hooves and then going barefoot and the horse being better, not perfect, but much better. No, this will not happen to every single horse but more often than not, it will help the horse. You may think it won't help or will make it worse, but well there is a good chance it will help your horse.

#3. Does your horse have enough nutrition in his/her diet? Often horses with bad hooves are lacking some vital nutrient.

#4. You may want to consider getting your horse on a hoof supplement, something with biotin.

mftowner06 12-21-2011 02:06 AM

I agree with Casey - I'd look at diet/nutrition...

What about that stuff... hum what is Rain Maker??? Does that sound right - its stuff that you brush on their hooves - it's like a moisturizer...

twh 12-21-2011 10:37 AM

I could try barefoot with her.

Actually, now the hoof looks pretty good. It's the frog that's a mess.
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 12-21-2011 11:03 AM

A hoof is built from the inside out - just as our nails are.

When I cut back on my fatty/oily foods, my nails became more fragile.

What supplement are you feeding?

twh 12-21-2011 11:13 AM

SmartHoof Ultra.
Posted via Mobile Device