The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Equine Massage (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/equine-massage-10681/)

iridehorses 06-27-2008 09:10 AM

Equine Massage

Has anyone had any experience using a massage therapist for their horse or dog?

I've heard some good things about them but have had no first hand experience with it.

barefoothooves 06-27-2008 09:15 AM

One of my clients is an Equine Massage Therapist (and humans, too!).

I think her horse is probably counting himself veeery lucky. LOL I am planning on seeing what she can do for my husband's old guy,but I have to get back to work so I'll have extra cash for that sort of thing. :roll: (funny how when you aren't working the money just doesn't go as far) course, with a new baby, we'll see just how much "extra" cash there is :shock: I know a guy that has a mule that swears by her massages for the mule. And I never thought of mule men as the type to pamper their critters. LOL

Sara 06-27-2008 10:19 AM

Considering how well all of the horses I've worked with have responded to my paltry attempts at Linda T-J's TTouch techniques, I would think it could be very beneficial. I've never hired a massage therapist though, I have enough bills as it is. Plus, its such a great way to bond with your horse, I'd rather do it myself.

PoptartShop 06-27-2008 12:16 PM

I've also never hired a massage therapist. But I think if I massaged my horse it'd be very relaxing. :D I should try it, LOL!

My2Geldings 06-27-2008 03:10 PM

Re: Equine Massage

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses
Has anyone had any experience using a massage therapist for their horse or dog?

I've heard some good things about them but have had no first hand experience with it.

Horses have gone hundreds of years without massages, they are fine without it now. I find this type of stuff or any equine therapists very obscure and expensive.

If I had a horse with a health issue that could be diagnosed or care for by standard means then I would probably give them a go. Otherwise no, I don't find they do much for the horses and they are expensive.

HooverH 06-27-2008 10:56 PM

In the rescue, we have two older horses with hip issues. We had an equine therapist come up and offer a free massage on both of them. The boys were both walking better for a good bit from it, especially Lucky who usually limps off his left hip.

iridehorses 06-28-2008 08:06 AM

Re: Equine Massage

.[/quote]

Horses have gone hundreds of years without massages, they are fine without it now. I find this type of stuff or any equine therapists very obscure and expensive.
quote]

As horses have gone without shoes, or inoculations, or dietary feed or teeth floating, etc.. Granted, it is one of those things that a regular backyard horse may not need but some of the performance horse, and racehorse trainers I've spoken to use them regularly.

But it's opinions I am interested in so I thank you.

Hrt4Dressage 07-02-2008 02:22 PM

I do use a massage therapist for Bailey... not often, or on a regular basis, but when he seems to be a little sore somwhere or if I've up'd his work...
Someone said that horses dont *need* massages, they are fine without them, and for the weekend trailrider or pleasure rider you're probably right... however a performance horse, show horse, or a horse that is in consistent work (there is a difference between working your horse and just going for a ride) will get sore, and can absolutely benefit from a massage. The woman I use is reasonable I think ~ $50.

A horse in work is an athlete, which I think is easy to forget. Like any athlete to perform your best you need to feel your best. A sore muscle will result in a horse carrying himself differently to compensate, which may cause other areas to be sore or other problems to arrise... such as not bending in one direction, leaning in/falling out on a circle, lead changes... etc etc etc.... all sorts of problems can come up.

The everyday horse may not need to be massaged on a regular basis but I think just like all humans can benefit from one, so can all horses.... especially because we ask them to do so many things with their bodies... and with the added weight of a rider.