The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Too Many Blankets!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/too-many-blankets-106826/)

Southern Belle 12-21-2011 09:05 AM

Too Many Blankets!!

There are wayy to many blankets and sheets in the horse world. In South Carolina it gets to the low 30's in the winter, but the 100's in the summer! What blankets/sheets would be a MUST for my gelding to have? There are so many i dont know what to choose!

DejaVu 12-21-2011 03:02 PM

Sounds like your winters are about the same as we have here..

Is your gelding turned out or in a stall more? Does he get a thick winter coat? Do you clip him?

Until I learn a little more about his situation, I would suggest an average medium weight turnout blanket. It's wind and water resistant, and will hold up to the elements.
If he's clipped or doesn't get much of a coat, something a little heavier may be better, or you could layer a light stable sheet under his medium weight turnout.

The Weatherbeeta Orican is well made and super long lasting.

For summer, he doesn't really need anything, unless you want to get like a fly sheet, light anti-sweat or a cooler for him.

My gelding has a medium turnout, neck cover, anti-sweat, and a slicker for taming his mane. When I'm trailering in the rain, I'll use all those at once sometimes. Other winter days, he's just in his turnout, and for trailering I'll put him in his hood for the wind protection. That's all he has, and is quite comfortable.

draftgrl 12-21-2011 03:26 PM

Granted I'm from North Dakota, but unless you clip your horse I honestly dont think he would need a blanket at all. The only reason I have a blanket is because where I'm boarding him they require a blanket for the horse. My family has never blanketed a horse unless it was sick and it gets to be -40 or colder here in the winter and can be above 100 in the summer! Yes we do put the horses in the barn when it gets real cold.

Saddlebag 12-21-2011 04:47 PM

If your horse is already growing a good winter coat then you will do him more harm than good by blanketing. Just because you feel chilly don't go thinking your horse is. Blanketing takes away his ability to regulate his body temperature and horses often overheat under a blanket. Even a sheet can mess up his thermo regulator. He doesn't need to be in a barn as long as he can get up against a wall which horses prefer.

draftgrl 12-21-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1274888)
If your horse is already growing a good winter coat then you will do him more harm than good by blanketing. Just because you feel chilly don't go thinking your horse is. Blanketing takes away his ability to regulate his body temperature and horses often overheat under a blanket. Even a sheet can mess up his thermo regulator. He doesn't need to be in a barn as long as he can get up against a wall which horses prefer.

You are correct on this, especially the overheating part. Also, if the blanket is put on to early then they will not grow a coat thick enough to withstand the weather.

I am assuming that your post was directed twards mine. The BO only has the blanket rule so when the weather turns real cold (neg. temps.) they can have blankets on at night to supplement their coat.

SaddleOnline 12-21-2011 08:03 PM

If he's wooly, he doesn't really need anything. Maybe a turnout sheet for wet days, if you want to use one. If he doesn't have a good coat, a medium weight turnout blanket will do the trick in your temps.

Stable blankets aren't waterproof and can't go outside - with your temps being relatively high, you probably won't find one overly useful.

In the summer, I like a UV protectant fly sheet.

Sharpie 12-21-2011 08:24 PM

Sounds like the weather here. My guy only has a waterproof turnout sheet, and that is all I think he needs. He has zero winter coat at all, so if it's wet, windy and below 50 he gets his sheet, or if it's dry but under 40. If it regularly got below freezing here I would probably have bought a medium weight one, but it's seldom that way for more than few days together, so it's just not worth it to get one that will be too heavy most of the time.

Southern Belle 12-24-2011 08:09 PM

My gelding is clipped, and he goes in his stall at night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 12-25-2011 11:01 AM

My horse is shedding already since it's been around the 50s and 60s as of late. But he's been in as little as a rain sheet. He's got a nice winter coat but shivers when it's cold and wet out.

He's originally from Montana, and I met him in CO so he can grow a nice coat to keep out the freezing temperatures.

Honestly if your horse doesn't NEED a blanket, then don't blanket him :)