The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Does your Barn Discount for Multiple Horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/does-your-barn-discount-multiple-horses-106875/)

csimkunas6 12-21-2011 05:01 PM

Does your Barn Discount for Multiple Horses?

So back when I was figuring out if I could afford a second horse or not, I looked into seeing if my barn discounted board on multiple horses. I found out that they dont. I pay $385/month, and they said if I was to have a second horse there, I would have to pay $385 for the second horse as well.

Does your barn discount for multiple horses at your barn? Do most do, or is this just a barn to barn basis? Thanks

mls 12-21-2011 05:19 PM

We have had requests to offer multi horse discounts. I don't understand why we would.

Doesn't matter if one person owns 3 or 3 people own one each. All of our expenses are the same. If the check bounces, it hurts more when it's a larger check.

csimkunas6 12-21-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1274831)
We have had requests to offer multi horse discounts. I don't understand why we would.

Doesn't matter if one person owns 3 or 3 people own one each. All of our expenses are the same. If the check bounces, it hurts more when it's a larger check.

Very true. Thanks for the reply!

Delfina 12-21-2011 05:29 PM

No discounts for the reasons MLS mentioned. My 2nd horse didn't eat less or make smaller messes than my first.... nope, he was the exact opposite.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-21-2011 06:49 PM

I did offer a multi horse discount before the drought drove my costs through the roof. I have one boarder who had 16 horses here at one time, that saved me a lot of advertising money, so I gave a discount. He's since sold all but 4 and with the cost of feed basically cutting my profit to 0, I no longer offer a discount, and for 2 horses I wouldn't have.

csimkunas6 12-21-2011 07:26 PM

Thanks for all the posts! Completely understandable, I just didnt know if it was something a lot of barns did or not. I remember most of the barns I knew of in NH did offer them, but that was probably 10+ years ago. Thanks!

Druydess 12-21-2011 11:02 PM

My trainer offers multiple discounts.. but she also knows I always pay..and she can count on a reliable income.. I also provide my own feed.. so I suppose it depends on the situation.

twh 12-23-2011 11:16 AM

I have yet to meet a barn that offers multiple discounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 12-23-2011 11:27 AM

my sister used to be at a barn that gave a small discount. but thats the only barn ive ever heard of that did.

AlexS 12-23-2011 04:05 PM

Some of the barns in my area do offer the discount, but it is not a huge amount.