The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   New here (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/new-here-106886/)

turtleaut 12-21-2011 04:57 PM

New here

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am new to the draft horse breed and am glad to find this forum. My new 8 yr old Clydesdale is on his way home and should be at my farm around 7:00 tonight. I found him by chance when I emailed a breeder describing what I was looking for (gentle, dead broke, non horsey hubby friendly :D). She did not have anything but actually had recently been contacted by a client who was selling and she thought he would be just what I was looking for. Ironically it turned out that the owner lived about 10 miles from my parents and they went to look at him for me. My mom has never been too much of a horse person (in fact noone in my family is so where did I get it from???) but he won her over pretty quick. So this 18H puppy dog is now in the trailer travelling "home". I can't wait to meet him. Any advice on drafts would be appreciated. I currently barrel race and have a Quarter horse mare as well as 6 miniature donkeys. Here is a pic of my new boy with my mom (he needs a little TLC) and an older pic of him.

Country Woman 12-21-2011 07:49 PM

Welcome to the forum Turtleau
He is very cute and handsome
Have fun with him
what are you going to do with him?

MHFoundation Quarters 12-21-2011 08:10 PM

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

What a handsome boy!

Theresa1 12-21-2011 08:19 PM

Sorry, I'm not any help at all other than to say he's beautiful! I'd think the drafts have the same needs as regular horses, except just more food :D

DutchFeather 12-21-2011 09:44 PM

Drafts are a type not a breed, Clydesdale is his breed.

Welcome!!! He's gorgeous and I bet you're going to have a lot of fun with him.The only difference between him and your QH is that he may eat more, it's not like all drafts eat a ton, but some do while others are easy keepers. He looks like he needs to be wormed and have some good quality hay put in him. My Belgian gelding only gets 1lb of grain 2x a day and then free hay choice and he could probably stand to be cut back. Another thing about draft horses, is DON'T be intimated by his size and don't let his size get in the way of making him mind his manners and be respectful. The first time you let him push you around will set it in his mind that he can, so DON'T let him do it. Nip any unwanted behaviors in the bud the first time they happen. These guys are too big to be pushy. Oh, tack is also going to be an issue, so here are a few sites tht might help you out.

My Draft Horse Super Store:
Draft Tack
Horse Lovers Outlet - Top Quality Custom made Beta Biothane Endurance Tack and Trail Riding Equipment. We are your Pleasure & Endurance Trail Riding Supply Super Store.
Duett Saddles: The Partnership of Horse & Rider

tinyliny 12-21-2011 10:04 PM

I liked the above advice. I ride a part draft 17 hh horse and I just love the solid walk and the look of his gigantic "teddy bear" head.
Your new horse is just gorgeous!

loveduffy 12-22-2011 12:58 AM

he is a good looking fella, My guy a belgium is just the same he make a great trail horse

HorseLovinLady 12-22-2011 02:29 AM

HE's gorgeous, welcome to the forum and please more pics!!

loveduffy 12-22-2011 11:58 AM

I will have to work on how to post pictures

turtleaut 12-22-2011 03:10 PM

add pic

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone! He arrived home late last night and I am just amazed at his wonderful personality. He and my barrel mare acted like they had known eachother for years (whereas she usually goes crazy when anyone new is introduced).

First on my list of priorities is to get him wormed tonight and on a good feeding program. I plan on just using him to ride around the farm on and my husband "may" try to learn to ride. I love riding my mare but it will be nice to have a laid back horse to get on when I just want a casual ride.

He stole my heart the minute I walked into the trailer and looked him in the eye. When I asked him to back out and he did not hesitate even a little. I can almost picture him talking like Eore saying "ooookkay" :lol:

Here is a pic of us together