The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What colour are these guys?

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Chiilaa 
#1 ·
Can someone please tell me what colour they think these guys are;
They have got there winter woolies on but the stallion is very golden palomino with i think two white socks on his back legs and the mare is normaly black and white ( you can see in one photo)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I wanted to know the black and whites 'tobiano' thing because i want to put themin the foal colour calculator and the palomino i wasnt 100% sure if he because of his socks needed a white name (like tobiano sorry not sure what the appropriate name would be)

Bubba- Its an alpaca :P

#22 ·
If she were a brown and white tobiano her muzzle would be brown not black. It doesn't matter if the flanks and behind her eyes are brown in the winter. A lot of black horses stay a little sunburned throughout the winter, giving them brown spots in the fur. The palomino could be sabino, but I'm not sure. Either way, it really wouldn't affect if you get spots or not. You still only have a 50% chance of the foal being spotted, unless both the mare's parents were spotted, then she is VERY likely homozygous for spots. The ONLY way to know for sure what you have is to contact either UC Davis for color genetic testing or you can also use University of Kentucky for genetic testing.

#25 ·
If she were a brown and white tobiano her muzzle would be brown not black. It doesn't matter if the flanks and behind her eyes are brown in the winter. A lot of black horses stay a little sunburned throughout the winter, giving them brown spots in the fur.
I understand perfectly well that black horses sun burn and go brown in places. I also understand that this can happen in both summer and winter coats. I live in Australia, I am well aware of the sun.

However. A black horse will bleach first in areas that have the most sun shining on them. Just like a person. You don't burn on your belly if you are tanning your back. A horse is the same - the soft areas along their belly is the LAST place you would expect to see the heaviest bleaching. This is why paler colour in the lower flank is such a good indicator of brown - you can assume the flank should be one of the darker spots on a bleached black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.