The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Anybody drive their drafts? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/anybody-drive-their-drafts-107002/)

AllThePrettyHorses 12-22-2011 10:53 PM

Anybody drive their drafts?
 
I've always loved the look of a draft team in harness. I noticed a lot of people on here ride drafts, but does anyone drive or work them? Share pictures, please! :D

Country Woman 12-23-2011 12:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures of a 2 horse hitch and an 8 horse hitch
taken at the Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver BC August 2010

pintophile 12-23-2011 07:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I don't have a whole real lot to do with them, but my dad sorta likes to play farm with his Percherons.

First three are him and his team with my sister driving at the Plowing match (she'd just been 'crowned' Queen of the Furrow-that's why she has a tiara on). She can't drive worth a sh** :lol:

The two tiny ones are the three hitched to the cultivator this fall.

Country Woman 12-23-2011 02:09 PM

Nice Percherons Pintophile

AllThePrettyHorses 12-24-2011 01:27 PM

Awesome pictures, both of you.

CountryWoman, where'd you take those?

And pintophile, that's really cool that you plow and do farmwork with them!

Country Woman 12-24-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Woman (Post 1276700)
Here are a few pictures of a 2 horse hitch and an 8 horse hitch
taken at the Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver BC August 2010

it says so in the post
Vancouver BC

DutchFeather 12-25-2011 08:09 PM

We drive our Belgians. We use them for logging, hayrides, weddings, making our own hay, we've plowed with them before, and we use to compete in horse pulls. Our horses are WORK horses first and pleasure/riding horses second.

draftgrl 12-26-2011 11:19 PM

Oh how I miss driving a team of blacks (percherons) The thing I miss the most is the sound of the chains clinking as we're goin down the road, or field.

Will be training my 1 1/2 colt to drive here asap!!

DutchFeather 12-27-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftgrl (Post 1281116)
Oh how I miss driving a team of blacks (percherons) The thing I miss the most is the sound of the chains clinking as we're goin down the road, or field.

Will be training my 1 1/2 colt to drive here asap!!


Me too! Sam's 17 months old, so next summer we'll be driving and in the fall I hope to do a little under saddle work at the walk.

draftgrl 12-27-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchFeather (Post 1281557)
Me too! Sam's 17 months old, so next summer we'll be driving and in the fall I hope to do a little under saddle work at the walk.


Yeah, I've looked at your Sam, what a good lookin boy! I saw that you're expecting, but if you're not too far along to where you would really worry about getting hurt, you could start training him now even. When my dad bought his first team, they were 6 months old and already trained to drive. Granted I'm sure they weren't pulling anything but the previous owner drove them out of the barn for dad to see them. Of course dad could have been exaggerating (sp) the age of the girls.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0