The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   SMB's and older horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/smbs-older-horses-107008/)

Wallaby 12-22-2011 11:18 PM

SMB's and older horses?

Is there any reason to believe that an older horse (who doesn't interfere at all) would benefit from the additional support SMB's can provide?

I'm just wondering because, yknow, I want to treat Lacey as well as possible and if SMB's would help her be comfortable for longer, I'm all for that.

Currently we're doing the majority of our riding on really hard surfaces: asphalt, crushed gravel, gravel, leaf covered crushed gravel, etc. We only walk on asphalt and we do all gaits on the gravel-ish surfaces.

She's completely fine with this and I give her tons of warm up time. I just worry because the ground is so hard and I worry about it's long-term effect of her.
If SMB's could lessen the impact the ground has on the internal structures of her legs, I don't want to be missing out!

bubba13 12-23-2011 08:37 PM

SMB's won't do anything for the effects of riding at hard ground, or at least I don't see how they could. You might ask your farrier about putting shock-absorbing pads under her shoes, though.

Wallaby 12-23-2011 11:42 PM

That's what I was thinking too. Good to know my first thought is probably right. Maybe I'll get some for her at some point in time but I'm glad it's not "necessary".

She's barefoot so no worries there. :)

SorrelHorse 12-23-2011 11:45 PM

Agreed with bubba, however putting boots on is never a bad idea for the support.

~*~anebel~*~ 12-23-2011 11:59 PM

SMBs provide no support whatsoever. In studies it has been show that unless the boot is applied so tight that it cuts off circulation there is absolutely no additional support provided to the leg.
In recent studies it has further been show that the use of boots which trap heat and super heat the leg actually damage the structures in the leg over time.

In short - if she's fine without then go without.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 12-24-2011 12:04 AM

The studies I've read, anabel, say that they provide "minimal" support. Not much, but better than nothing. Of course, that's relying on you to use common sense and remove them right before and after exertion to avoid overheating. The Iconoclast ones seem to provide far more support than standard models.

SorrelHorse 12-24-2011 12:12 AM

I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought halfway through that post. You are right about the SMBs. I use Legacy boots or Iconoclast.