The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Would It Be Decent to Show In... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/would-decent-show-107011/)

RunJumpRide 12-22-2011 11:26 PM

Would It Be Decent to Show In...

I'm thinking of showing a little English pleasure sometime soon, but IDK if I'll like it or not... So if it was a small-ish show (like one a local saddle club puts on...) would it be OK to show in paddock boots, breeches, a white show shirt (long or short sleeve?), and a helmet with a velvet helmet cover? Or what?
Thanks ;)

waresbear 12-22-2011 11:59 PM

If it's not a rated show or one where you are trying to garner points for anything, I would say that is fine. I would take half chaps & a huntcoat just in case though.

OuttatheBlue 12-23-2011 12:10 AM

The local horse and pony club puts on small shows here, they literally accept anything. People often come in jeans and tank tops, even in english classes. But that could just be local. The first show I went to with this club I came in nice show gear just in case, it was a little embarrassing but I think it's better to over dress than under dress.

kitten_Val 12-23-2011 08:52 AM

Run, it depends on show of course, but local dressage shows here require you either to have tall boots or for younger crowd halfchaps. For english pleasure - honestly don't know. What you can do though is to call the secretary for the show and just ask to be sure. :wink:

VelvetsAB 12-23-2011 11:11 AM

Since it is now winter, you could get away with a dark long sleeve shirt and a dark coloured vest, instead of a show shirt.

Paddock boots would be alright, as long as they were accompanied by half chaps.

Cinnys Whinny 12-23-2011 12:12 PM

I think it depends on the show and who is putting it on. When I"m in doubt, I actually CONTACT the club or whomever is putting on the show and ask if there is a dress code and what is preferable. The last show I went to I was told you could go in breeches and a polo. I picked out my favorite breeches and my lucky blue and green striped polo and my green saddle pad that matched the polo. But when I contacted them they said, only SOLID polos are acceptable and only white of offwhite or very pale pads, no colors. So, I was happy I contacted them first.

mildot 12-23-2011 01:03 PM

It is never wrong to wear black tall boots and helmet, khaki breeches, a black, navy, or very dark gray coat, for ladies a ratcatcher shirt, and for men a ratcatcher with stock tie or a dress shirt with a white four in hand.

Add a white shaped pad under the saddle and you're good to go.

Even if the show is casual, it is better to be overdressed rather than under.

RunJumpRide 12-23-2011 01:14 PM

Ok thanks! What about rubber tall boots? I haven't bought the paddock boots yet, but I wanted to stay cheap ;), but now that I look around some more, rubber paddock boots are not a whole lot more expensive than paddock boots.

Skyseternalangel 12-23-2011 01:26 PM

I'm guessing: http://www.al-bar.com/gallery/product_134/456422.jpg

The ones you just pull on to ride, that don't tie.

I second the idea of calling and asking.. better not to assume. We went to a local training show and we were expected to dress up, the only dress down part was we were allowed paddock boots and half chaps. But we wore the show shirt, the pin, the breeches, and the show coat. Oh and velvet caps

Cinnys Whinny 12-23-2011 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunJumpRide (Post 1277175)
Ok thanks! What about rubber tall boots? I haven't bought the paddock boots yet, but I wanted to stay cheap ;), but now that I look around some more, rubber paddock boots are not a whole lot more expensive than paddock boots.

Back when I used to show in the 90's, I only owned rubber boots. I think in lower levels you may get away with them as long as they are clean and still have a nice "polished" look, but upper levels I would probably invest in some boots. Also, if you are tall, the rubber boots are sometimes a little short, mine actually were just short enough that they hit the flap of my saddle just right and would pinch me all day.

Here is my "rubber boot" show look. I also had a "borrowed" hunt coat that was a size 22w when I would normally have worn a 10 and an old hand me down helmet so don't laugh. I'm 5'8" and as you can see, the boots look a tad "off."

Attachment 82234