The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   How do I sell my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/how-do-i-sell-my-horse-107090/)

Horsecrazy4ever 12-23-2011 07:03 PM

How do I sell my horse?

For those of you that have sold a horse before, how do you do it?

I mean, what websites do you use? Do you do video's or pictures?

Where and how do you advertise? Is there anything to do that would make MY horse STAND out in all the ads?

Please give me your tips/advice.. All appreciated :D

DuffyDuck 12-23-2011 07:06 PM

Firstly, be completely honest. People don't want a sob story, they want facts.

Pictures with him in work, lunging, ridden, driven (if at that age) are always appreciated. Always make sure the horse is turned out at his best, cleaned, scrubbed- the lot. Have a video, but say if people want it to contact you, then you can send it to them so you can guage how many people are interested and if they're not, up your game.

As for websites, no idea where you are!

Sorry to hear you have to sell, but good luck!!!

Cinnys Whinny 12-23-2011 07:12 PM

There are many places to advertise, everyone has their preference as to where to advertise so I'm not sure what to tell you on that one.

What you advertise is key. A lot of people spew off 3 paragraph's on bloodlines, who their dam and sire were, what THEY did what all their other foals did blah blah blah. I think it's fine to list a little of the bloodlines, but when people only say what the brothers, sister, grandads, whatever did and nothing about the horse being advertised, it sets off a flag to me that there is something up with the horse or else they wouldn't have to sell them only on what it's siblings/parents have accomplished.

GOOD conformation pictures. Pictures on a hill, with a saddle, etc again set off a flag that you are hiding something. I think a good head shot and a good side shot should do it with the horse standing square and on a flat surface. Not only can you see what the horse is about, but it also shows you have nothing to hide. Video is good, video of lunging is okay if you aren't the greatest rider because you want to show your horse's movement at it's best. I see so many vids of horses for sale on craigslist where the rider/handler is making the horse look like a complete tard or like it doesn't move right just because their riding is throwing it off.

Try to talk about anything your horse has accomplished and try to leave the flaws for when you have actually gotten them to the barn to see your horse in person. Talk about any training, what you have been using the horse for, what kind of riders have been able to ride it. I would however stay away from saying it's a beginners horse, however unless you can literally sit underneath it and shoot of an M80. So many people say they have bomb proof, kid horses that don't so some people think of it as a trigger.

When you have someone coming to look, don't lunge, exercise etc before hand. Let them see how easily the horse is caught, groomed and warmed up. I know for me it's a flag if I go to see a horse and they are already sweaty as it makes me think that for some reason they had to work the crap out of it in order for it to behave for potential buyers. You want the buyers to see the whole package right off so that they know if your horse is a fit for them, and so they don't have surprises when they get it home. You don't want them to change their mind and bring the horse back after the sale because it behaves differently.

I think that's all that I can come up with for now.

Joe4d 12-23-2011 10:14 PM

have a complete add, critical information being left out of an add is pretty aggravating. Age, gender, breed, height, general location, training level and disciplines and price at a minimum.
Craigslist, horseclicks, dreamhorse, equinehits,

palominolover 12-23-2011 10:17 PM

My vote would be get TONS of conformation photos, along with the ones of him being ridden.

PaintMare 12-24-2011 11:36 AM

Use horsetopia, craigslist and dreamhorse. Put pictures and videos! Put a pic of him set up. Give a lot of information. No one wants to see and ad with only a couple of sentences.

equiniphile 12-24-2011 11:43 AM

I try to make the visual aspect short and concise--a conformation picture, a few pictures under saddle (if the horse is being sold as started or more), and a picture or two of the horse moving without a rider. As for videos, I'll often put up a link to one sale video with clips of the horse being handled, ridden, and moving. Make sure the horse and rider are immaculate and the background is not distracting. If a prospective buyer wants more, they have to contact me.

I use sites such as Horseclicks (which is free for picture ads), equine.com, equinenow.com, horsetopia.com, and dreamhorse.com. I've also had a lot of luck posting a classified to the local farm & dairy newspaper.