The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Can I ask two stupid questions??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/can-i-ask-two-stupid-questions-1071/)

Aoiffe 03-12-2007 05:40 PM

Can I ask two stupid questions???

Appologies in advance...

1. Apart form the obvious method, is there another method to tel the gender of a horse?

2. Do horses with shoes leave the same prints as horses without shoes?

thanks guys!

Aoiffe

barnrat 03-12-2007 11:33 PM

Moved this topic to general

1. a mare will go into heat where as a stallion or gelding will not. A stallion will mount mares where mares and Most geldings ( have met a gelding that mounted a mare once.) will not mount.

2. sometimes, It depends on how the horse is trimmed. It also depends on the shoes the horse has.

horseygall220 03-14-2007 08:17 PM

Yes i believe there is another way to tell if any animal is a boy or girl. Take a washer and tie it to a sting. Then hold the string above the horses body and wait (you have to hold it still or else it will not work). But besides that if the washer starts to move in a circle then the horse is a girl. If the washer moves in a straight line then the horse is a boy. :D

sparky 03-14-2007 08:27 PM

wow, i never heard of that horseygall.

kristy 03-14-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseygall220
Yes i believe there is another way to tell if any animal is a boy or girl. Take a washer and tie it to a sting. Then hold the string above the horses body and wait (you have to hold it still or else it will not work). But besides that if the washer starts to move in a circle then the horse is a girl. If the washer moves in a straight line then the horse is a boy. :D

Um, what? :?

KANSAS_TWISTER 03-14-2007 11:06 PM

lol ok i had to laugh but what?????

Curly 03-21-2007 04:28 PM

ive seen the washer trick done on some mares to check the foals sex. I have no idea if it works but some of the old timers believe it and still use it regularly.

8)

NirvanaRider 03-28-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnrat
Moved this topic to general

1. a mare will go into heat where as a stallion or gelding will not. A stallion will mount mares where mares and Most geldings ( have met a gelding that mounted a mare once.) will not mount.

Could you tell this to the gelding that was in with the mares and zonkey? The zonkey is complete unic, if you get me, but the gelding...mounted my poor old mare and well...she got some scratches and cuts and gashes and she was terrified of him =( We always put geldings with mares, but this one just doesnt work the ladies.

Legend 11-16-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseygall220 (Post 7619)

Dont know if I believe that... :shock:

Golden Horse 11-16-2011 12:35 PM

Gender, put a pink halter on, if it looks embarrassed it's a boy.

Hoof prints, depends on the footing but yes, and if you get kicked the bruise is different as well...