The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bareback riding?. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bareback-riding-107110/)

HarleyWood 12-23-2011 11:20 PM

Bareback riding?.

Okay so me and my little 3 year old are trying a new thing this winter, we are learning how to ride with no reins (halter, bridle, anything on) and he has the Go and the Stop but arent good at turning, anyone have some ideas on how to turn him? with my feet? i just thought it would be something new considering hes amazing with saddles on and Bridle (halter, ect.) so i wanted to teaching him something else. any ideas?

BornToRun 12-23-2011 11:27 PM

While taking a few lessons in reining, my coach taught me to bump them on the shoulder. On a 'professional' horse, it had proved effective. You could try that?

HarleyWood 12-23-2011 11:35 PM

bumping on their shoulder with what? i carry my derssage whip just because he was lazy and just knowing i had it made he listen, BTW hes a westren horse.

SorrelHorse 12-23-2011 11:42 PM

Does he neck rein at all? I ride with a neck rope or with two "sticks" (Dressage whips or crops) and use those to steer. You could teach them without the neck rein first but I like them to have it beforehand just because it makes things easier.

Eventually you should be able to steer by just bumping with your legs, but starting off with the rope or sticks makes it easier.

BornToRun 12-23-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyWood (Post 1277901)
bumping on their shoulder with what? i carry my derssage whip just because he was lazy and just knowing i had it made he listen, BTW hes a westren horse.

Sorry! Guess I forgot that part. With your heel. Just like you would if you were riding with a saddle ... only on the shoulder. Anyways, I found that worked for me, but I never did follow through with the reining.

HarleyWood 12-24-2011 01:37 AM

no when we got him he was broke to ride, he only had 30 days of riding but was wonderful when we saw the trainer ride him and he was at a right price. he pretty much does anything asked, but still confused with neck reining but we are working at that also when i find a bit he likes maybe a hack.

Also how to teach neck reining? the horses i had knew how to do it or just needed some reminders but i always got horses around the age of 9 and up so they had been ridden for years.

reiningchick99 12-24-2011 10:17 AM

What i have been taught is neck reining is mainly using your legs. I would start out working on getting him used to using your legs to turn. As in if your riding two handed if you want to turn right use your right rein and use your left leg to push him to the the right. Get the horse used to that for a while, then stop using your reins and practice it that way.

OuttatheBlue 12-24-2011 03:45 PM

I agree with getting him to steer with your legs/seat. I have been riding like this more and more often:
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...0224-00146.jpg
Especially as it gets colder.

You need to work on getting him to respond with your legs/body with a bridle on at first (so you can correct him while he's figuring it out). Then you should slowly stop using the reins. Does he pivot/sidepass/leg yields/etc. yet? Teaching him those will teach him how to move away from your leg, and makes it easier for turning off of your legs and body position.
Be sure to look up and where you're going! Horses are VERY sensitive to our body positions, which can be very beneficial. My horse will turn in a direction if I put my weight on one side of my butt and look up where I'm going, without any leg pressure at all.

I know I'm not explaining that well at all, I had to get up at 5 AM for work so I'm still out of it.. let me know what I need to explain better and I will try to make it more clear. It is an AMAZING experience riding a horse without anything at all! Just this last week I got to canter around the arena, free of any tack, it's an amazing feeling. (Especially when the horse in control and stops when asked :wink:)

Skyseternalangel 12-24-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OuttatheBlue (Post 1278499)
I agree with getting him to steer with your legs/seat. I have been riding like this more and more often:
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...0224-00146.jpg
Especially as it gets colder.

You need to work on getting him to respond with your legs/body with a bridle on at first (so you can correct him while he's figuring it out). Then you should slowly stop using the reins. Does he pivot/sidepass/leg yields/etc. yet? Teaching him those will teach him how to move away from your leg, and makes it easier for turning off of your legs and body position.
Be sure to look up and where you're going! Horses are VERY sensitive to our body positions, which can be very beneficial. My horse will turn in a direction if I put my weight on one side of my butt and look up where I'm going, without any leg pressure at all.

I know I'm not explaining that well at all, I had to get up at 5 AM for work so I'm still out of it.. let me know what I need to explain better and I will try to make it more clear. It is an AMAZING experience riding a horse without anything at all! Just this last week I got to canter around the arena, free of any tack, it's an amazing feeling. (Especially when the horse in control and stops when asked :wink:)

So jealous! I need to help my horse learn how to stop when I ask.. right now he's having issues with that. I think it's my fault because I'm not riding with my seat like I should (I never learned how)