The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Odd noise (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/odd-noise-10714/)

appylover31803 06-27-2008 07:57 PM

Odd noise

As most of you know, Gem got his feet x-rayed and trimmed. He had to be sedated for both of those (2 doses of a sedative at different times)
We noticed just an hour ago, that anytime before he would sneeze, he'd have like a moaning sound before he would do that.

Is that normal? Should we be concerned? Should we call the vet out?

I did record Gem as he was doing it, not sure how well i got the sound on the camera. I'll have to investigate.

If he's just standing around, he doesn't make the sound. He also does not make the sound if he's moving.

I don't know if it was his fly mask we just put on him as we noticed the sound after the fly mask was put on. It's one that has a long nose.

If i can extract the audio off my camera, i'll upload it so you can hear it.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

barefoothooves 06-28-2008 12:18 PM

Did he only groan after he was sedated?
If so,I'd think it was from the drugs (of in light of the other thread about his colic, perhaps his tummy was starting to hurt).

Toby does a little grunt occasionally when he's going to "sneeze", and it's when he's half asleep, so it could very well be that.

FriesianSH 06-28-2008 02:05 PM

Your horse is probably okay. Mine groans all the time--when he rolls, before he snorts, when he poops... :oops:

appylover31803 06-30-2008 11:11 AM

I think i'm going to say it was his tummy hurting him or something. He hasn't moaned to sneeze since he coliced. So i guess that's good.

Though i do know when he has a good poo or pee, he moans, but it sounded different from that.

Angel_Leaguer 06-30-2008 02:44 PM

my horse groans a lot to before she sneezes and after she shakes (from rolling) she yawns all of the time too!!

barefoothooves 07-01-2008 09:10 AM

My Paint likes to make a "burping" noise. It's not a true burp, and I think he's actually swallowing, but he only does it when he's most content. Like right after something really yummy or if he's being affectionate. Maybe it's his "compliments to the chef"? LOL
He likes to put his chin up by my face and "burp". Nice, eh? Men... :D

appylover31803 07-01-2008 12:49 PM

My puppy always comes up to me and burps in my face after he eats :lol:

I know when Vega pees she lets out a long low moan :lol:

barefoothooves 07-01-2008 01:11 PM

Animals are so gross. LOL I love em anyways! :D

kickshaw 07-01-2008 01:14 PM

when i drive boo, he burps. (i know it's not really a burp, but it sure sounds like it). Not a great big long burp, but little cute burps...like he's running on bubbles or something :)