The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Sport Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/)
-   -   TB/Holsteiner Cross - What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/tb-holsteiner-cross-what-do-you-107140/)

NittanyEquestrian 12-24-2011 01:39 PM

TB/Holsteiner Cross - What do you think?

6 Attachment(s)
I have a 10 yr old TB sport mare, R Mischievous Lady Horse Pedigree, that I bred to a Holsteiner stallion for a 2012 baby. Dad was saddle broke and then used exclusively as a stallion for a small private farm who specialized in "the ultimate trail horse" as they liked the Holsteiner/QH and Holsteiner/Draft crosses because of their temperament, athletic ability and trainability. He has a certificate with the Holsteiner association but was never full registered, however he is sired by Franat, Franat - American Holsteiner Horse Association Approved Stallion, who was a leading F-Line sire. I bought two babies out of this stud and liked them so much I decided to breed my mare to him for a potential AWR baby. I included some pictures of her and of him, sorry for bad quality it's all I have of him, and you now know their breeding. Wanted to get opinions from some sporthorse breeders about the match. I'm looking for a future event/dressage horse out of this breeding.

NittanyEquestrian 12-24-2011 01:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd add pictures of what he has produced as well.

First is a 4 yr old Holsteiner/QH gelding. Currently standing 16.2 hh with fantastic movement and a puppy dog personality. Pics from shortly after purchase, sorry about the quality.

Second is a 2 yr old Holsteiner/Perch gelding. Currently standing 15.2hh with huge movement and a stellar personality. First pic is as a yearling, second is as a 2 yr old.

I love the brains and athletic ability of these babies despite their differences in build and breeding from their dams. Both carry themselves very uphill and use their hind ends naturally. I'm grateful they have wonderful, hard feet as keeping them from stepping out of shoes would be a definite challenge!

cakemom 12-24-2011 10:43 PM

I am in love with Ozzie!
Posted via Mobile Device

SarahAnn 12-24-2011 11:29 PM

I agree! Ozzie is handsome as heck!
Posted via Mobile Device

NittanyEquestrian 12-25-2011 10:39 AM

Haha thanks! He is the sweetest thing ever and when you see him moving you just want to climb on he looks so comfy! I'm hoping he doesn't get any thicker so that he will be able to jump but if he can't then he is going to make one heck of an awesome dressage mount! The 4 yr old is a client's winter project but I couldn't leave without taking Ozzie with me...even though I needed another horse like I needed a hole in the head! I would love to have 10 of him! I'm going to be getting some free lunging video of him soon and he will be backed this winter so I will be sure to post them when I get them done!

Laures 12-26-2011 08:55 AM

I would have bred to an approved stallion.

NittanyEquestrian 12-26-2011 09:59 AM

I wanted her bred live cover as she is a TB and I would like a purebred TB out of her but I wanted her close enough to me to be able to be there every step of the way so that I could know how she behaved and reacted to the stallion. So if I have to ship her to a breeding farm for her next breeding I can give them accurate advice and information on her. I lucked out and found a stallion that I liked that was affordable and in my area. Regardless of whether I bred to an approved stallion the offspring would not have been purebred unless I was breeding to a TB so that wasn't a big drawback to me. I knew the stud's conformation, temperament, athleticism and breeding and lines through his certificate of pedigree and I could see what he had consistently produced so that was enough for me. I wanted a conformationally correct stallion that had the ability to add some bone and substance to my mare and the added athleticism and temperament from his side is definitely a plus as well.

Super Nova 01-06-2012 01:57 PM

Love Holsteiners...........we have a home bred cross

Dam was a quarter horse/clyde

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...2/Phyllis1.jpg

Sire was a purebred Holsteiner out of the stallion Damiro

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...erApproval.jpg

Resulting cross is a mare who is five in this picture.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...laylaconfo.jpg

PS by the way your guy looks great

crimsonsky 01-06-2012 05:18 PM

typically i would think this would make a nice cross provided the mare was an approved mare and the stallion a registered and approved stud so that you would be left with a registerable foal. that isn't the case here so i can't say i see the point.

that notwithstanding i think you'll have a nice foal out of the pair, it's just not something i would have chosen to do. *shrug*

CLaPorte432 01-06-2012 06:56 PM

889 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonsky (Post 1296874)
typically i would think this would make a nice cross provided the mare was an approved mare and the stallion a registered and approved stud so that you would be left with a registerable foal. that isn't the case here so i can't say i see the point.

that notwithstanding i think you'll have a nice foal out of the pair, it's just not something i would have chosen to do. *shrug*

Why does it matter if the foal is registerable or not? I know numerous horses that aren't registered that can beat a registered horse any day or the week. Maybe the OP isn't interested in showing the foal in anything that requires papers?

And I know plenty of registered horses that are complete crap.

I have a non registered horse and he's the best, most athletic horse that'll do anything, go over anything, through anything. There's nothing wrong with him and his life isn't any less valuable because he's not papered. He's highly loved, well taken care or and is a tremendous horse to have around.

Papers aren't everything. I'd take a good minded, athletic non-registered crossbreed over a registered purebred any day of the week. And that's exactly what the OP is going to get.

With that being said...

OP: I think this cross is going to produce a great foal. I actually really like that stallion and think your mare is lovely.