The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Good, Informative Horse Books? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/good-informative-horse-books-107161/)

Hasufel 12-24-2011 06:41 PM

Good, Informative Horse Books?

Hello all!
I want to read some good horse books. On anything- horsemanship, care, breeds, etc.
It seems like all the ones I find are not in-depth- like children's books. :-|
Since I can't ride or go to the stable I would like to bury myself in a horse book Haha
-I can't help it, I am bookworm. lol

So, I guess my question is : Do you have a favorite, informative book about anything horse? I would love to hear!
TIA!
Merry Christmas all!
oh, and pardon if this is not in the right place- this is my first thread here.

ALittleBitOfSaint 12-24-2011 07:02 PM

I was on a Hippology team, and the booklets our club gave us weren't very good, so we studied from this book. It's very useful!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1929164424/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0766835316&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09XE4SVCZDVVY2QGSHZ0

MHFoundation Quarters 12-24-2011 07:37 PM

For more in depth books, look up textbook lists for university equine studies programs. I've gotten them from Purdue, Univ. of Kentucky, Colorado State, etc. A lot of them are texts from Vet studies, Equine Science and Horse Industry/Management type of books.

walkinthewalk 12-24-2011 08:01 PM

Mark Rashid Horse Training

Mark Rashid writes in anecdotal rather than academic form, making his "lessons" much more entertaining and difficult to put the books down.

Sometimes he won't give the reader the answer but leaves us to figure things out for ourselves. The "AHHA!" moment sticks with us a lot longer that way:-)

I bought his books, brand new, on Ebay for half the price so check out Ebay first, if you think you might enjoy his books.

COWCHICK77 12-24-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1278687)
For more in depth books, look up textbook lists for university equine studies programs. I've gotten them from Purdue, Univ. of Kentucky, Colorado State, etc. A lot of them are texts from Vet studies, Equine Science and Horse Industry/Management type of books.

I agree text books are great! You can get them used on Alibris.com too. I just commented in another thread one of my favorite books is Principles of Horseshoeing by Doug Butler. Great book for leg and foot anatomy, horseshoeing science and it even has a chapter on shoeing oxen. I have found text books for as little as a dollar for horse science and beef cattle management.
Posted via Mobile Device

clairedorotik 12-26-2011 01:01 AM

horse books

Check out NO SECRET SO CLOSE, or ON THE BACK OF A HORSE: Harnessing the Healing Power of the Human-Equine Bond, both are on Amazon

Hasufel 12-27-2011 12:09 PM

Thanks all for your replies!!! Those sound like nice books- I will have some reading ahead of me:)
Thanks a ton!!

horseluver50 12-28-2011 02:35 AM

My favorite horse books of all the ones I've read so far (alot!) are:
- both of Clinton Anderson's books (they are very informative and easy to understand the concepts, and I love love love his training techniques)
- Resistance Free Training by Richard Shrake (just got it this xmas, and love it so far, hard to pry myself away from it!)
- Eyewitness Companions : Riding (love reading this book! I've probably read the whole book at least 20 times :)

There are probably more that I'm forgetting, but that's to start :]

pintophile 12-28-2011 09:18 AM

I personally really liked Storey's Guide to Training Horses. It gives you some pretty good basics on how to take a horse from birth to finish.