The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Muddy legs, help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/muddy-legs-help-107217/)

spookychick13 12-25-2011 11:41 AM

Muddy legs, help!

Heya,

Can anyone recommend a really good tool to get the mud off of my horse's legs? It's a strange mud with limestone or something it it, so it's like cement!

Really frustrating! It's too cold to hose him off, too.

I was thinking the nubby grooming mitt might work?

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Wallaby 12-25-2011 11:50 AM

This is probably the worst idea in the world, but it works super good for me (and since Lacey's hair is SO long I'd have to work hard to scrape her), but I use one of those metal curries, the kind that you're only supposed to use on the body if you really have to use it on a horse at all, very very carefully on the legs to get mud off.
I use it very slowly and without much pressure but it still gets enough of the really hard stuff (we have very clay-like mud here) off so that I can use a hard brush to get the rest off.

It does forever though (well...ten minutes=forever in my world) so hopefully someone else will have a better idea! haha

Jake and Dai 12-25-2011 11:59 AM

I use the Slick n' Easy block...gently on my mares legs. She's uber sensitive on her lower legs but it really works well.

Slick 'N Easy™ - Grooming Tools from SmartPak Equine

highlander 12-25-2011 05:29 PM

I do wash down their legs in temps down to 0oc, but not above the knee. I just use a stiff bristled brush over the legs if its too cold or leave them alone as my beds are normally about 2ft deep.
Posted via Mobile Device

garlicbunny 12-25-2011 06:35 PM

I use a hairbrush backwards against the lay of the hair. another thing that works fairly well is to use your hands to rub it off(long as it is dry).

Legend 12-25-2011 09:11 PM

Yes, I do the bad thing and either hose off their legss, not any higher than you must, no matter the degrees (It only gets to like 15 here :D) And if I dont want to get a hose out, I do the big "no no" and use a metal curry. :shock: