The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Keeping a blanket on because of sacroiliac problems? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/keeping-blanket-because-sacroiliac-problems-107294/)

manca 12-26-2011 11:49 AM

Keeping a blanket on because of sacroiliac problems?

My mare has arthritis on sacroiliac joint, probably with calcification going on. I was advised to keep her hind end warm, so muscles are loose. Now I'm really thinking about blanketing her...

But I never did it before and I don't know how to do it. I got a winter blanket when I bought my mare, but I don't know when to put it on, when off... Should I have multiple blankets? Temperatures goes from 20 at night (35 in the stall) to 60 (maximum) at day when she's outside all time.

I was thinking about blanketing her even before, because I always have a hard time keeping her weight on in the winter (she already started losing it).

What do you think? Any other things to think about when blanketing?

caseymyhorserocks 12-26-2011 10:22 PM

It definitively won't hurt your horse, it will probably help, and is much healthier than many other ways of keeping horses warm such as keeping them in a heated barn. I would blanket during the night and take off in the morning (about 9-10 am) and put it back on in the evening (about 4-5 pm), if at all possible as at those times the weather starts to change to get warmer/cooler.

~*~anebel~*~ 12-26-2011 10:27 PM

I know they are a lot of money, but you might look into Back On Track products. Many horses, people and dogs find great relief for their arthritis and muscle pain from these products.. I know I can't live without my back brace!!

Good luck!

manca 12-27-2011 01:15 PM

Thanks for help :D

I'll look for back on track and see, but vet was pretty pricey and it's even not over yet. Though, if it really helps...