The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   RANT-I got kicked :( *again* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/rant-i-got-kicked-%2Aagain%2A-107319/)

PintoTess 12-26-2011 06:13 PM

RANT-I got kicked :( *again*

This is the 4th time I have been kicked. So here I was in the car being driven to hospital yet Again because one of my horses kicked me. But it was my new thoroughbred Lucy. I don't blame her but I don't blame myself. It was one of them things that happen when you own a 700kg animal that is 10 times the size of you. It was at feed time and the girls were a bit flighty. Lucy was crowding me so I did what came naturally and swung the bucket at her shoulder. Well she turned and kicked out, getting me straight on the bone in the arm.

At the hospital the nurse looked at my hospital record and said 'oh, you have been here 4 times now for being kicked by a horse. The hand, the face, and the hip!'
I got x rays taken and there is no fracture just soft tissue damage. At this moment I am grateful for spellcheck as I just got home from the hospital and am all dosed up on painkillers!

I take no responsibility for spelling mistakes lol!

GhostwindAppaloosa 12-26-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PintoTess (Post 1280646)
This is the 4th time I have been kicked. So here I was in the car being driven to hospital yet Again because one of my horses kicked me. But it was my new thoroughbred Lucy. I don't blame her but I don't blame myself. It was one of them things that happen when you own a 700kg animal that is 10 times the size of you. It was at feed time and the girls were a bit flighty. Lucy was crowding me so I did what came naturally and swung the bucket at her shoulder. Well she turned and kicked out, getting me straight on the bone in the arm.

At the hospital the nurse looked at my hospital record and said 'oh, you have been here 4 times now for being kicked by a horse. The hand, the face, and the hip!'
I got x rays taken and there is no fracture just soft tissue damage. At this moment I am grateful for spellcheck as I just got home from the hospital and am all dosed up on painkillers!

I take no responsibility for spelling mistakes lol!

Your horses do not respect you. Do some serious work with someone who can help you gain that respect back before they kill you

farmpony84 12-26-2011 06:49 PM

I'm glad that you are ok but you do have some respect issues. And you may want to change the way you feed them. Would you like to discuss the hows and whys and maybe some things you can do to try to correct the issue? Or was this more of a rant post?

I'm glad you didn't get seriously hurt and that you aren't afraid of your horse. If you would like to turn this into a discussion I am certain plenty of people have experiences and advice to offer...

Saddlebag 12-26-2011 06:58 PM

If you are feeding a crowd of of loose horses, never, ever, enter their area without a lunge whip. Wave it side to side about waist height. One will make the mistake of walking in to it but don't stop. It will make you horses keep their distance until you permit them to approach the feed. In a one on one situation it could easily be seen as a respect issue but horses being horses get squabbling with each other and don't worry about the human. Even if you don't have feed it is best to carry the lunge whip. A friend ignored my warnings and her horse quickly turned rump and kicked, barely missing her head. After that she never entered the field without a lunge whip. You need it to be at least 6' long, that's borderline kicking distance.BTW, don't be afraid to deliver a hard smack. Your horse isn't feeling any guilt for kicking you.

Kayty 12-26-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1280706)
If you are feeding a crowd of of loose horses, never, ever, enter their area without a lunge whip. Wave it side to side about waist height. One will make the mistake of walking in to it but don't stop. It will make you horses keep their distance until you permit them to approach the feed. In a one on one situation it could easily be seen as a respect issue but horses being horses get squabbling with each other and don't worry about the human. Even if you don't have feed it is best to carry the lunge whip. A friend ignored my warnings and her horse quickly turned rump and kicked, barely missing her head. After that she never entered the field without a lunge whip. You need it to be at least 6' long, that's borderline kicking distance.BTW, don't be afraid to deliver a hard smack. Your horse isn't feeling any guilt for kicking you.

An excellent piece of advice.

I hope you're ok after being kicked, my coach snapped her femur in two when she got cow kicked doing a girth up. Hence something I try to avoid at all costs!
As the above poster said, a lunge or dressage whip is your best friend if you're walking into a bunch of horses. Often with food around, they're not trying to lash out at you, but at the other horses - food tends to bring out herd rivalry and if you happen to be in the way of a flying hoof, ouch!
I always take a dressage whip in with me to feed my little group, the two yearlings are super friendly, but also like to push the limits a little. Billy has turned around once at me, didn't even get the chance to land a kick before he had a good welt on his backside. Has not even thought about turning his quarters to me again, and now stands patiently while the food is put down.

Buckets are good to throw, from a distance, but never up close for the reason that you just found out - too close!

tempest 12-26-2011 07:10 PM

Did you kick the horse back?

That's what my RI asked me after I got kicked. I'm glad your okay.

I know this isn't the best approach for moving horses away from a person but when I would take grain out to catch my horse all the other horses would crowd around and start fighting over who was going to "get" the grain. So one day I decided that I had enough of being crowded and their fight so I kicked the closest ones in the chest (they wouldn't move when I pushed them), they moved away, and then I said, "Hey!" They haven't bothered me about grain in the pasture since then. They still follow me around but they won't crowd close. And they are still easily catchable without grain.

PintoTess 12-26-2011 07:16 PM

This was first time in a while. No I don't need a discussion, I understand. My pinto mare really respects me now. She got. Rope across the rump a few times, she stood back away from the gate today. I have only had the one that kicked me for a few weeks, we are still getting to know each other. Please guys, don't judge me, it was one of them split second bad decisions and I learned from it. And just for the record, I take a rope in with me, but today I couldnt find it. Just please don't lecture me, I know where I went wrong and I am in pain. I learned the hard way.

MHFoundation Quarters 12-26-2011 07:19 PM

No lecture from me. Sorry you got nailed though, that always stinks.

bsms 12-26-2011 07:20 PM

I only have 3 horses. One rule I am VERY strict about is that the moment I set foot in a corral, I am THE BOSS.

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to mix our new gelding with the other two. A fight developed between the geldings. They didn't break it up as soon as my foot hit the ground, so I sent all three of them running with the dressage whip.

It was a bit comical - the 15.3 Arabian mare in the lead, the 14.3 Appy gelding in #2, and the 13.o mustang in the rear. They didn't stop until I let them.

About 10 minutes later, the mare and the mustang started to go at it. Again, as soon as my foot hit the ground, I expected them to stop everything. They didn't, so they got some exercise.

It is quite rocky where I live, so if a whip isn't handy, a stone will do. Any more, I don't need a stone. If I bend down to pick up an imaginary one, the horses MOVE. And no, I've never injured a horse by popping one in the butt with a small stone.

If a horse gets pushy when I bring in the feed, the horse gets chased off and doesn't eat until I let him.

It is far too easy to be seriously hurt by a horse. When I enter, I am the Absolute Boss. All fussing must cease. A horse that stamps its feet gets fed last, or not at all.

That doesn't mean I'm cruel, or that my horses live in fear. A couple of weeks ago, while I was watching her get some training, my spooky mare got her foot tangled in a rope and bolted off, kicking and galloping. I called her name, and she turned 90 degrees and came straight to me. Then she stopped, put her head against my side, and waited for me to make the bad thing go away.

But when she turns her butt to me, she's asking for a 'butt-rub' - a hard scratch between the hip and backbone. She loves those. If she turned her butt to me in anger, though, I'd move fast - and then unleash hell and ****ation on her.

Anyone can be kicked, but if the ER folks know you by name, you are doing something wrong.

farmpony84 12-26-2011 07:21 PM

There is no judging going on here. That's why I asked if it was a rant or a discussion. Adding *rant* to the title.