The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   What's wrong with my hands? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/whats-wrong-my-hands-107322/)

MyLittleHunter 12-26-2011 06:54 PM

What's wrong with my hands?

Hi everyone,

Lately when I've been working in the barn(or doing physical work in general), especially when I'm lifting things I've had trouble with my hands and elbows. Sometimes they're fine, other times I'll have a very sharp pain and my hands will go numb and lock up. My elbows will also start tingling. It doesn't happen so much when I'm riding as when I'm holding something heavy like a bale of hay or a full water bucket. Though sometimes I'll get the tingling just sitting around. It's the strangest thing.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? Should I maybe look into seeing a neurologist?

Kayty 12-26-2011 08:59 PM

Get down to a doctor, they'll probably refer you for an ultrasound. Sounds like the symptoms my partners father had when he was diagnosed with carpel tunnel.

MyLittleHunter 12-27-2011 11:48 AM

That's what I was kind of afraid of. My mom has carpal tunnel and had the surgery for it not long ago. I'm only 16 so I was hoping that wouldn't be it, but it's a very really possibility. My mom is making me a doctor's appointment today.

Kayty 12-27-2011 05:00 PM

Glad to hear she is taking you to have it looked at, if it IS carpal tunnel you'll have a much better chance of healing if you've caught it early.
Good luck, and let us know the result x

MyLittleHunter 12-31-2011 08:32 PM

I have an appointment made for a week from today. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious.

SorrelHorse 12-31-2011 08:36 PM

Keep us posted.

MyLittleHunter 01-07-2012 10:59 AM

So we had to schedule my appointment, some family issues came up. I'm anxious to figure out what's going on. lol.

smrobs 01-07-2012 12:58 PM

If it is carpal tunnel, there are stretches that you can do to help. My mom had a flare up a few years ago and was advised by her neurologist and chiropractor to do these stretches at least twice daily. Since then, she has pretty much stopped having problems with hers.

Free carpal tunnel exercises for pain relief

MyLittleHunter 01-14-2012 04:34 PM

Thanks smrobs! I got diagnosed with the very first stages of carpal tunnel. The doctors gave me some advice to keep it from getting worse. And suggested I wear wrist braces when I'm going to be doing repetitive motions, or work that involves lifting, or carrying.