The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ideal conformation for all around horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ideal-conformation-all-around-horse-107344/)

horseluver50 12-26-2011 10:33 PM

Ideal conformation for all around horse?

I saw an ad for a 3 year old AQHA filly that has amazing conformation from what I can see. She is bred for cutting/reining and is built that way.

I am going to be doing some reining, lots of trail riding, english, and some cross country.
Would a horse that is built like a cutter be suitable for english disciplines, or would their build limit them?

Here is a picture of the filly:

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/...54511j_20.jpeg

If not... what would be the ideal conformation for an all around horse?
Thanks!

tinyliny 12-26-2011 10:53 PM

That is a lovely filly. Her hind end looks a bit posty , the leg I mean, though it would be easier to see if she were stood up better. In that photo she looks a bit camped under (is that the correct word?) meaning her lower real leg is too far under her and the cannon is not vertical when it is lined up with the back edge of her point of buttock.
Her porportions look very nice to me.
As long as a quarter horse is not built too downhill (might be great for cutting but not for English riding) they can be fairly all around.

caseymyhorserocks 12-26-2011 11:01 PM

I like her conformation a lot, but her cannons and fetlocks are a bit to long, but other than that, I would say pretty good conformation. The head and neck are a bit to small and delicate, but I like horses like that, but isn't the ideal in halter classes and such.

horseluver50 12-26-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

That is a lovely filly. Her hind end looks a bit posty , the leg I mean, though it would be easier to see if she were stood up better. In that photo she looks a bit camped under (is that the correct word?) meaning her lower real leg is too far under her and the cannon is not vertical when it is lined up with the back edge of her point of buttock.
Her porportions look very nice to me.
As long as a quarter horse is not built too downhill (might be great for cutting but not for English riding) they can be fairly all around.
I agree about her hind end, I noticed that when I first looked at the picture. But, maybe it was just the way she was standing?
I'm thinking that since she's three, she should even out a bit more as she gets older, and not be as bum high.
Thanks!

Quote:

I like her conformation a lot, but her cannons and fetlocks are a bit to long, but other than that, I would say pretty good conformation. The head and neck are a bit to small and delicate, but I like horses like that, but isn't the ideal in halter classes and such.
I agree about the cannons and fetlocks too. Her legs are also pretty refined and small, which could be an issue in possible lameness in the future?
I absolutely love her head and neck as well! That is my ideal look for a horse :]
Thanks!

paintedpastures 12-27-2011 12:24 AM

I would not consider this an all round horse.could not see suitability for halter Or English disciplines. Pretty head neck,decent shoulder angles,lighter muscled & boned,weaker hind end & pretty sickle hocked:shock: Shorter stature will also impend from being competitive in several events. She looks more like the cutter horse you describe her as being,probably best suited to those events,trail horse or perhaps some gymkhana:-):

bubba13 12-27-2011 12:32 AM

I do not like her at all. It's a bad photo to judge from, but it sure looks like she's going to be set up for stifle problems. Below that is a sickle hock leading to a camped under stance and overloaded pastern. Along with the steep croup, the muscling of her hindquarters is all wonky, probably stemming from the stifle/hock issue. Downhill build, but she IS just three years, so a pass there. Inadequate bone in the front legs at the cannons; tied in behind the knee. But nice neck and shoulder.

horseluver50 12-28-2011 05:04 PM

^^ Thank you both. I definetely don't want to end up with *another* horse that is unsound. Her back end is really bothering me now when I look at the picture. Her legs are also quite fine boned, which could possibly cause soundness issues quicker.
I agree that she looks more like a western horse as well, I would prefer something that is built to be an all around horse.
Thank you all, and I will keep looking!

GotaDunQH 12-29-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1281093)

Actually, that IS the ideal for Halter Classes.

There are things I like and things I don't like. I also think her hind end is away from the camera some, and the photographer is standing more toward her front end than smack dab center of her barrel.

She does show straightness from the stifle down through the gaskin, she is light in bone, but she's not overly bodied so at her age...it's not a huge concern for me right now. I like a little shorter pastern. As for the back legs, the one back leg is not set up correct. The hock should fall DIRECTLY below the point of buttock. She's standing with her leg further under her. She still could have a slight sickle to her hock, but I don't mind a slight sickle...actually prefer it for a western horse. What I DO LOVE is her hock set, the angle and where it is placed on her leg. It's important for a western horse to have a great hock and she has a super nice hock.

As for english events, I'd say no because she is built to perform western for sure....cutting, reining, WP etc.

horseluver50 12-31-2011 08:31 PM

Thanks GotaDunQH. Although she looks like she may be a great western horse, I also might decide to go all english or jumping, so I'd rather get a horse that's built to do it all.
Thanks!