The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Rope halters or Nylon halters? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rope-halters-nylon-halters-107346/)

Horsecrazy4ever 12-26-2011 10:42 PM

Rope halters or Nylon halters?

I am wondering what is the diffrence between rope halters and nylon halters?

Which do YOU prefer? Why? Thank you:-)

Sharpie 12-26-2011 10:50 PM

For day to day, I use a nylon halter. If I were going on a long trail ride or such, I would put my rope halter under the bridle so I could use it to tie during lunch, etc, as it is less bulky and has more bite. Similarly, if my horse was poorly behaved or we needed some reminders on his manners, I might use the rope halter more regularly, but I don't often need to.

COWCHICK77 12-26-2011 10:55 PM

I am a fan of the rope halters, I love them. If you have to get after one they get your point across. I find horses have a tendancy to lean on a nylon one. The thing about a rope one is tying the knot properly so it doesn't get stuck.

LuckyRVT 12-26-2011 10:57 PM

I have heard people say they like the rope halters more because in an emergency/entrapment they break away easier. The nylon they are easier to put on I have to fidget with the rope ones to figure out which way is up! But I am ordering the Parelli starters kit with the rope halter because that seems to fit my horse better for training.

Brighteyes 12-26-2011 11:07 PM

Actually, rope halters are nearly impossible to break. I use them when I DON'T want a horse to break away. Nylon will break eventually at the hardware (though they don't break easily, per say).

I like nylon simply because tying rope halters is hard. :oops: When I'm doing ground work (not just leading from pasture to pasture or something), I use a rope halter. When I'm away at shows, I use a rope halter, just incase I need to correct my horse. She likes to pin her ears at other horses, so a pop with a rope halter is good for the soul.

DrumRunner 12-26-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 1281098)
Actually, rope halters are nearly impossible to break. I use them when I DON'T want a horse to break away. Nylon will break eventually at the hardware (though they don't break easily, per say).

Very, very true! I've had horses destroy a nylon halter and not be able to break a good quality rope halter. If I know the horse is one to pull back when tied, a rope is always used on said horse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 1281098)
I like nylon simply because tying rope halters is hard. :oops: When I'm doing ground work (not just leading from pasture to pasture or something), I use a rope halter. When I'm away at shows, I use a rope halter, just incase I need to correct my horse. She likes to pin her ears at other horses, so a pop with a rope halter is good for the soul.

It really depends for me, at home I use rope halters with a knot on either side of the nose. They just give you more control and usually last longer than a nylon halter for me..At shows each of my horses have a nylon halter with the bronc nose piece...Yes. They are extremely spoiled and have about two or three halters each.

Home = rope halter, Show = pretty halter..