The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Who do I get to float my horses teeth? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/who-do-i-get-float-my-107397/)

tbrantley 12-27-2011 01:04 PM

Who do I get to float my horses teeth?

I have a problem. I usually get my vet. to float my horses teeth.

My ferrier went to school this summer to learn how to do it. She just check my horses teeth today and said my new horse needs it done. He is the only one that has not recently been done by my vet.

I trust her when it comes to shoeing my horse she does an excellent job. I am just nervous about having her do my horses teeth because she is still new at it.

What do you think? She wants to schedule it for this weekend. She said she will start out using power tools and then finish it with hand tools.

I am planning on showing this horse this Spring. I have him training now.

She said she would charge me about half the price of what the vet charges but I think I am more concern if something could go wrong.

I am needing some advice.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

:?:?

Legend 12-27-2011 09:41 PM

I would let your vet do this. Let your farrier practice on other horses before she tries yours.

Even if it is half the cost right now, if anything goes wrong, you will be paying a ton more than if it just got done right the first time.

I personally wouldn't want a doctor who has been in school for one year, and is still beyond new to the medical world working on me. I would want a seasoned doctor, who is confident on what they are doing.

waresbear 12-27-2011 09:50 PM

I don't know the laws in your area, but here in Canada, it is illegal to do any dental work to an equine without having a license. Does your farrier have a license?

Beauseant 12-27-2011 11:46 PM

I would NOT let the farrier do it. Just my opinion!

We have the vet do ours, and he specializes in equine dentistry....and he sedates the horse.....which a farrier cannot do, nor an equine dentist unless he is a licensed vet. In my state, an equine "dentist" DOES NOT need to be licensed. Nor does he need to be certified. ANYONE can do it...and that just scares the crap out of me....

I am weird about these sort of things, but my farrier does my horses' feet and my vet does their teeth.....:lol:

actually, my vet has a video of a floating demonstration he did at the state fair...

HOME

Skyseternalangel 12-27-2011 11:54 PM

Personally I would at LEAST get the vet to supervise..

tbrantley 12-28-2011 08:16 AM

I want to thank everyone for their input. I have decided that it would be best to let my vet to it. I will just save my money and wait to get it done when I can afford the vet.

New_image 12-28-2011 10:18 AM

Typically, I go for a equine dentist over a vet any day. If she is new and your vet has done fine in the past, continue with the vet. I also steer clear of anyone who uses power tools. ESPECIALLY someone new to floating teeth.