The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Home-made hoof stands (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/home-made-hoof-stands-107421/)

VetTech2011 12-27-2011 05:02 PM

Home-made hoof stands

I have began to keep my horse maintained inbetween professional trims more and more since July of this year. I have been using whatever I can find as a make-shift hoof stand but it's just getting difficult and frustrating. I would like something better. I would love to purchase a nice hoof stand but it's just not in the budget at the moment. I have always been a creative person, I am interested in seeing if I can make something home-made.

Does anyone here have their own home-made hoof stand? If so, what did you use to make it?

Please post pictures if you have them.
I am interested to see.

OwnedByAlli 12-27-2011 05:22 PM

Heck, they are expensive arent they!?! Just did a quick look on the internet.

What about using some 2x2" wood and some bord to make a tripod? Have a triangle bord as a base then have three bits of wood coming up at an angle to meet at the top. Kinda like a tent. Strengthen it with some wood between the legs and, bobs your uncle, a tripod! Might take some work and practise with a saw at cutting odd angles but it might work!

Kimmylikestojump 12-27-2011 05:39 PM

The cheapest way to do it is to get an umbrella stand, like from your outdoor dining set. Cut the umbrella part off around 16" and cut open a tennis ball, place it on the cut end, vet wrap over. Works well.

loosie 12-27-2011 05:56 PM

Necessity is the mother of invention! Do you want just a stand, or a cradle as well? Are you just wanting it for one horse or a range of sizes? For just a one horse stand, you could get by with 3-4 steel rods, bent into 'L' shapes to make a tripod - weld them together if you're able. If you don't weld, it won't be quite so sturdy, but bolted together with pipe clips or some such.

If you want a cradle too, esp if you want something that you can adjust height for different horses, go to your local auto supplies & buy a couple of axle stands. They'll still cost you more than some steel, but if you have a friend that wants one, you can halve the price & go one each. Get some firm but not brittle plastic, such as thick poly, to extend the cradle bit of the top, add some thick closed cell foam &/or some old carpet over it, to make a supportive but soft cradle.

iridehorses 12-27-2011 06:04 PM

Rather then try to make the stand part - start our with an old jack stand. I see them regularly at garage sales and flea markets. The biggest advantage to them is that they are strong enough for a horse and are adjustable in height.

loosie 12-27-2011 06:05 PM

Necessity is the mother of invention! Do you want just a stand, or a cradle as well? Are you just wanting it for one horse or a range of sizes? For just a one horse stand, you could get by with 3-4 steel rods, bent into 'L' shapes to make a tripod - weld them together if you're able. If you don't weld, it won't be quite so sturdy, but bolted together with pipe clips or some such.

If you want a cradle too, esp if you want something that you can adjust height for different horses, go to your local auto supplies & buy a couple of axle stands. They'll still cost you more than some steel, but if you have a friend that wants one, you can halve the price & go one each. Get some firm but not brittle plastic, such as thick poly, to extend the cradle bit of the top, add some thick closed cell foam &/or some old carpet over it, to make a supportive but soft cradle.

Kimmylikestojump 12-27-2011 06:07 PM

Jack stands work well but are easy to tip if you have an impatient pony. Trust me. I know. lolz

henia 12-27-2011 06:24 PM

I have home made hoof stand made from a chair. I really don't know how to explain how it looks like or even from which part of a chair it is made. Tommorow I will take a photo and post here. Now I can add that it works very well and is very comfortable in use.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hidalgo13 12-27-2011 06:26 PM

subbing

AmazinCaucasian 12-27-2011 07:15 PM

Attachment 82491

I made this out of 3/4" steel pipe and some old shoes. This is a spare one, but the one I use shoeing has lasted several years