The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Please Help Me! Wind Knots! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/please-help-me-wind-knots-107464/)

KissTheRing 12-27-2011 10:17 PM

Please Help Me! Wind Knots!

I could just cry- My kid's beautiful mane is in shambles! The entire mane is in dreads, and just when I get it to perfect length too.

Usually, I would use conditioner and other oily goods to get them out but during winter it will freeze.

Any advice/tricks? or am I doomed :cry:

Sharpie 12-27-2011 10:50 PM

How cold are we talking here? Do you have a stall/stable/barn? Space heater? I would use the products you need to in order to get the mane straightened out, and then wash and dry just the mane and/or wipe off the excess before turning your horse back out.

KissTheRing 12-27-2011 11:33 PM

Its steadily around 30 degrees (F) We're stricly outside. I could try washing but I've always been too afraid since he has to be out all the time. I know its not safe. hence the doomedness of the situation lol

Sharpie 12-27-2011 11:43 PM

Nah, you'll be fine. Thirty (daytime temp) is fine. I'd do it on a clear day, early on so there's time to dry out before the nighttime lows, but so long as you're only doing the mane and not soaking the horse, it should be fine. I would probably use conditioner mixed with a little water so it's a little dilute or just straight detangler, and apply it liberally to the mane and squish it though. It won't freeze while you're working at that temp. Then finger brush, comb, get everything detangled, and finally use a few nice dry towels to get as much moisture out as possible. No need for a hose or to get anything all soaking wet.

Golden Horse 12-28-2011 12:06 AM

MTG works good down to really cold temps it doesn't freeze

KissTheRing 12-28-2011 12:12 AM

Whew! What a relief! haha deffinatly thought he was going to lose alot of length. Maybe this wont end in doomness after all ;-)

Poseidon 12-28-2011 03:46 AM

I usually slowly pick out wind knots. They usually fall apart on their own after you get the very bottom loose. I braid my mare's mane if it's going to be extra windy for a few days or she'll be all knotted.

GhostwindAppaloosa 12-28-2011 08:14 AM

mane and tail detangler... and a good mane brush. and of course patience :)

mls 12-28-2011 09:19 AM

Start at the bottom and work your way up the tangled tresses.

LuckyRVT 12-28-2011 08:21 PM

My horse had a dread lock (and i am dead serious) in her tail 90% of her tail was matted. I used 1/2 a bottle of baby oil and a hoof pick (yes a hoof pick) and my fingers to work it out took me about 30 mins. This was before i bought her..now i spray showshine on every 2-3 weeks and it works great...also looking into this coconut oil thing on here....