The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Polo Wraps vs. SMB boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/polo-wraps-vs-smb-boots-10748/)

SonnyWimps 06-28-2008 10:19 PM

Polo Wraps vs. SMB boots?

Okay I'm plannig on getting Gingerrr's polo wraps and then a pair of SMB boots for the other two legs...but I'm debating on which would be better to put on what legs.

At the moment, Sonny is just my pleasure/trail horse but I'd like to do some shows with him and would LOOOVE to turn him into either a western pleasure, reining, ranch, or cutting horse and I'd like to protect his legs from whatever I throw at him.

I do alot of sudden stops (mainly because one time on a trail as I turned a corner there was a HUUUGE hole...and my horse wouldn't stop...and she JUMPED it...scary...this was before I bought Sonny).
And also I do quick tight turns to work on listening and so on.

I know on the SMB it said that it absorbs 26% of the shock...but what about polo wraps?

Which legs do you think I should put the polos on and which the SMBs on?

My2Geldings 06-29-2008 12:01 AM

Polos on the back. The boots will offer more support so I would put them on the front legs.

JustDressageIt 06-29-2008 12:59 AM

SMBs can come in all 4 legs. The most important legs to protect are the fronts, if you have to decide though. I'd really recommend getting all 4 SMBs though. Polos don't offer great stability support.
Another drawback to polos is the fact that you need to know how to wrap them PROPERLY or they'll do more harm than good. SMBs just velcro on.

upnover 06-29-2008 01:38 AM

I would say it depends on Sonny and what his needs are. SMB's offer ligament support and some protection against interference. All polos really do is give just a little protection against interference, maybe against some abrasions, but honestly they don't do a lot. So I'd put the SMBs wherever he needs the most support. If you were going to be jumping him (which if I remember correctly you probably aren't, right?) I'd say def SMBs in the front. And keep in mind that horses carry about 60% of their weight on their front end. But if you were to be doing something that would cause a lot of concussion to his hind legs I'd say SMBs there. Honestly I'd say just forget the polos. If he interferes (not sure if that's a prob for you) I'd say get forget the polos and get some galloping or ankle boots. They're a pain to put on and roll up and you have to keep them clean... basically a lot of work for nothing in return!

kickshaw 06-29-2008 01:19 PM

SMB's on the front

what about splint boots on the back instead of polo wraps? (polos are basically used to warm up the ligaments...no support, really)

they're not incredibly expensive, either :)

SonnyWimps 06-29-2008 10:54 PM

well I'm still planning on getting the polo wraps for I do use them for Sonny or other horses...and I'll see if I have enough money to invest in 4 SMB boots, but not sure if I'd have enough

HooverH 06-30-2008 05:21 PM

The only horse we use polos on is our rescue QH with calcified knees...they keep him warm when the weather gets colder.

I have a set of front SMB I carry on the trail in case Hoover was to twist one of his feet, since he has low pasterns. They should give him the support to walk so I can lead him back to the barn.

The one thing I have been told about SMBs is that wearing them regularly when the support is not needed can leave a horse sore. It would be like wearing a knee brace when you haven't hurt your knee; it changes the way your muscles work in that area, and then leaves the muscles sore since you are using them in a different way than usual. This was in relation to my thought that Hoover should wear them any time I ride, since he does have the bad pasterns.

kickshaw 06-30-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

The one thing I have been told about SMBs is that wearing them regularly when the support is not needed can leave a horse sore. It would be like wearing a knee brace when you haven't hurt your knee; it changes the way your muscles work in that area, and then leaves the muscles sore since you are using them in a different way than usual. This was in relation to my thought that Hoover should wear them any time I ride, since he does have the bad pasterns.

Very interesting...I've never heard that!

Supermane 06-30-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickshaw
Quote:

Very interesting...I've never heard that!

I've heard use of heavy duty boots will not only leave the leg sore, but eventually weaken the leg...

SonnyWimps 07-01-2008 12:25 AM

so then, if the SMB boots would weaken the leg, would it be better just to use Polo wraps?