The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Flying lead change (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/flying-lead-change-107480/)

horse lover 114 12-28-2011 01:50 AM

Flying lead change

Can you help me by explaining how to do a flying lead change on command?:D

SorrelHorse 12-28-2011 02:01 AM

The flying lead change is a very demanding thing from both horse and rider. I would suggest finding a trainer to work on it.

horse lover 114 12-28-2011 02:58 AM

Ok thanks for the help.. I guess:/

lubylol 12-28-2011 04:25 AM

Does you horse know it's signals for certain leads? Like right leg for left lead, left leg for right lead? (Outside leg for correct lead)
Posted via Mobile Device

horse lover 114 12-28-2011 04:29 AM

Yes he does:) but what I want to know how to do is to do a flying lead change.. Like your going one way on the correct lead then you change directions and switch leads

Saranda 12-28-2011 04:34 AM

This really should be done with the help of a trainer, I suggest you find yourself one you trust. One way to do it is cantering in a circle over a ground pole, and, when the horse is coming over the pole, switch your outer leg and inner hand to cue him to switch directions and lead. Of course, you must be very precise with your body cues to do that.

horse lover 114 12-28-2011 04:38 AM

What a lot of people have told me is canter a figure eight but as square wise not circle wise and when you get to the middle of it and is ready to change direction you then ask.. I've tried that exact way and it worked I just wanted to know any other technectics any peoe had to offer

SorrelHorse 12-28-2011 05:41 AM

I highly reccomend finding a trainer. From the sound of it, you don't entirely understand the dynamics of what has to happen in order for a flying lead change to occur. It's not just switching direction, it is an entire precise cue from hands, seat, and legs setting the horse up from what lead to the next and putting their bodies in the exact correct position. It will depend highly on your level of training, and your horses.

But, since I'm sure you're probably going to try it anyway, I would suggest picking up a counter canter and asking for a flying lead change by pushing the hip to the inside around a corner, keeping inside bend. See what happens.

Kayty 12-28-2011 06:07 AM

Can your horse perform a very balanced, controlled counter canter? Have you established simple changes through first trot, and then walk, and are you able to perform a simple change with as little as one walk stride between canter strides?
If not, then go back and work on your basics. Flying changes are not as simple as flinging your balance to the other side of the saddle, pulling on a new inside rein and hoping for the best. Changes taught like that are changes that the horse has been forced into by being thrown wildly off balance, and generally they will only change in front, then canter disunited.

I hope you have a trainer to help you

horse lover 114 12-28-2011 11:44 AM

Yes, We do a bunch a of simple changes! And I didn't say all you have to do is change your balance.. I know there's a lot of steps to doing a flying lead change with your horse. I believe the horse and rider have their own techniec to doing a flying lead change. I believe it depends on the horse what you've taught the horse to obey too. Not everyones going to have the same opinion because we all have different types of horses and we either ride English or western. So I know no one is going to tell me how to exactly to it because everyone has different tehneics with their horse! This thread was to see what everyone's different styles of doing a flying lead change. I didnt want everyone to say consult with a trainer because i know how to do a flying lead change and I explained it above and thats my techneic of doing it. I just wanted to know what everyone's else's was.. But please don't think I'm mad I'm just stating my opinion.. :)
Posted via Mobile Device