The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Laymans terms please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/laymans-terms-please-10753/)

Lets Ride 06-29-2008 12:18 AM

Laymans terms please

:?: :oops: At the risk of sounding dumb...... What is butte and what is it used for? Heard it alot recently and don't have a clue. Thanks :o

upnover 06-29-2008 12:51 AM

"Bute" is short for phenylbutazone, an anti-inflammatory that's commonly given to horses to reduce pain and swelling. Basically "horsey tylenol".

upnover 06-29-2008 12:51 AM

and don't ever worry about sounding dumb! this is the place for questions and all horse people always have new things to learn!

kickshaw 06-29-2008 11:50 AM

it also comes in many forms

powder - usually apple flavored
traditional pills
injectable (don't do it unless you're a professional at hitting veins)
and paste

My2Geldings 06-29-2008 12:37 PM

I love BUTE :D Last time I used was when my poor boy was gelded. Poor fella..

kim_angel 07-07-2008 03:21 PM

My mare Cocoa is 30 yrs old and gets one bute a day in her food to help relieve some of her arthritis pain. It helps. You can tell when I run out and miss a few days before I get more.

noreen 07-08-2008 10:02 AM

Bute

Phenylbutazone or Bute is a wonderful drug but be careful... it does have contraindications. Gastric ulcers is one of them. (but there are others) My friend who used it on her ex-race horse, (known for having ulcers) developed a bleeding ulcer which became very serious. He's OK now but bute is a last resort for him and only after he has been given ulcer medication prior to the use of bute.

Just a heads up but it's worth checking with your vet before using it or a least looking into all the contraindications before using it.

Curious George 07-08-2008 10:08 AM

Bute smells amazing haha.
It works so well.
Me and my friends where discussing how it smells like fruit loops.

My2Geldings 07-08-2008 01:46 PM

I always said bute smells like the kid's cough sirup :lol:

G and K's Mom 07-08-2008 03:34 PM

This is response is to expound on Noreen's post regarding ulcers. I agree you should always consult your vet before giving any medications, but a healthy horse can tolerate a minimum dose of bute for extended periods without any problems.

The key word is "pre-existing" ulcers. It's not a given that long term use of bute given in the proper amounts will "cause" ulcers or any of the other problems such as kidney failure. If you have a bleeder, or one with renal problems then bute may not be for them, but if there are no pre-existing problems it's a good long tem solution for some pain issues.

That said, foals are in the high risk category and bute should be used with extreme caution.