The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   What would u do? Barn manager won't feed more than 3 flakes of hay per night (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/what-would-u-do-barn-manager-107589/)

Lost without horses 12-28-2011 09:51 PM

What would u do? Barn manager won't feed more than 3 flakes of hay per night

Hi guys! First post ever, joined for your expert opinion on current boarding situation. Situation is 3flakes of hay, no matter what condition, training and/or age horses is, given only at night. Turned-out daily with round hay bale and lots of other horses. Poor pasture no green and all mud. I am now supplying my own hay in addition to their 3 flakes to ensure my horse has all he wants throughout the night. I also added another bucket of water! This is only day 2 and they have already complained that the left over hay is just a mess in the stall. As if poo and pee are not messy!! Left over hay amount is minimal. So what would you do? If intervention was not done my horse would continue to lose weight!

smrobs 12-28-2011 10:33 PM

It would greatly depend on the type of contract you signed with them. What does the contract specify (or does it) in regards to feeding schedule and amounts. If it says no more than 3 flakes per night, then you got yourself into it. If they didn't put it in the contract anywhere, then you can either just deal with it and continue to supply your own hay and listen to them gripe about the "mess" or move your horse.

IMHO, you would be better off moving your horse anyway. Any BM that justifies letting a horse drop weight by saying "the extra hay makes their stall messy" has no business being around horses.

MyBoyPuck 12-28-2011 10:38 PM

Unless your horse is low in the pecking order and cannot get to that round bale, I'm not sure what is wrong here. If the horse has free choice hay all day long and gets an additional 3 flakes once he's back in his stall, that should be more than enough forage for a healthy horse. If he's leaving hay in his stall, maybe he's getting enough from the round bale alone? Just playing devil's advocate here.

waresbear 12-28-2011 10:40 PM

My horses would be lardarses if they had access to a round bale all day & then 3 flakes in the stall at night.

Skipsfirstspike 12-28-2011 10:49 PM

I agree with Puck, if he has free choice hay all day and three flakes at night, he should be fine. If he is fed in his stall at 'bedtime', and there is still hay in there in the morning, then he is either not hungry, or the hay quality is extremely poor.
And if there is hay left over, why do you think he would eat more? Wouldnt he just waste more? Unless he is just a real pig in his stall, messing on his hay before he eats it. In which case his hay should be fed from a feeder.

Cinnys Whinny 12-28-2011 11:20 PM

I agree with some of the others. I don't know what is wrong. If Cinny had free choice round bale, plus three flakes at night, he'd be a lard butt!! My last stable had boarders that ranged from 3rd and 4th level dressage horses to upper level eventers. Even the huge warmbloods that did cross country and eventing competitions every weekend, didn't get more than 3 flakes a meal. Some of them got additional grains like Omolene, or another product to help up their performance and round them out, but they never got more hay.

Beauseant 12-28-2011 11:38 PM

Perhaps he is losing weight because the others aren't letting him eat....OP did say "round bale" as in one and "lots of other horses" as in very many. One round bale with "many" horses?

Just wondering.

That is what happened to Beau before we bought him....when he dropped from "racing fit" to an emaciated body score 2.

SueNH 12-29-2011 08:09 AM

I'm with Beau. How many horses? How many round bales?

I have 3 mares and two large bales out. If I had only 1 the oldest and smallest mare wouldn't allow the other two in to eat except when she felt like sharing.

Cinnys Whinny 12-29-2011 09:08 AM

I agree, how many other horses are in with the round bale? Have you watched him when he is there to see if they are chasing him away, or does he get to eat too?

I'm also wondering if there could be a medical reason for the weight loss under all of this? What is your worming schedule like, when was he last wormed and with what? When were last dentals done? Does he get anything besides hay such as Omolene or another grain ration to balance him out?

If you know your horse is eating off of the round bale too, I would probably get a vet out. Not getting enough food isn't the only reason a horse looses weight/condition sometimes. It sounds as if your horse should be getting adequate feed, unless you know for a fact the others don't let him eat at the round bale.

I think I would probably call a vet in to assess the situation for 2 reasons, 1) you will find out more about WHY the horse is loosing weight/condition and know for sure whether there is some underlying illness or lack of food. and 2) you will be able to get vet instructions as to whether or not your horse needs more food. HAVE THE VET PUT IT IN WRITING if your horse isn't getting enough so that you can then have a basis for moving further with the BO on the problem. If the BO STILL won't budge after a vet says the horse needs more groceries, then I would move and consider it a breach of contract on the BO's part as you have contracted for them for proper care of your horse. If it really blows up and they try to take you to court for extra money for leaving early, you will have in writing that a vet said the horse needed more feed and you will hopefully have witnesses to the fact they refused to add feed, or allow you to add hay you have purchased yourself to your horse's ration. I really doubt the court will see in the BO's favor.

mls 12-29-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost without horses (Post 1283943)
Situation is 3flakes of hay, no matter what condition, training and/or age horses is, given only at night. Turned-out daily with round hay bale and lots of other horses. Poor pasture no green and all mud. I am now supplying my own hay in addition to their 3 flakes to ensure my horse has all he wants throughout the night. I also added another bucket of water! This is only day 2 and they have already complained that the left over hay is just a mess in the stall. As if poo and pee are not messy!! Left over hay amount is minimal. So what would you do? If intervention was not done my horse would continue to lose weight!

How was your horse being fed prior to coming to this barn?

Noticeable weight loss after only two days? I would look more towards water consumption for that type of weight loss in such a short period of time.

We have ours on round bales during the day and they receive ONE flake of hay at night. The horses not on round bales receive two flakes (those are hayed 2x per day while in turnout).