The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   help switching pasture mates! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-switching-pasture-mates-107596/)

SarahAnn 12-28-2011 11:15 PM

help switching pasture mates!

So, since Rain died, we now have an odd number of horses. I would LIKE to keep one pasture horse-free for some time to allow the grass to grow, and alternate. Ideally I could put my 3 mares and gelding together in one pasture, and my stallion in another. The problem is that my gelding thinks he's a mare and has an attitude. My 3 mares get along fine, with the occasional pinned ears and a kick around the food.

I tried putting Blaze and Sage (the gelding) together because they'd been together in the past (like 6 years ago.) But they were bucking and biting each other. I don't know how long to let them "figure things out" before I need to throw in the towel. Blaze is my senior, and my heart horse. And I am afraid her recovery time from an injury would be much longer then anyone else's, but I don't want any of them to get hurt. Because I love them, and because I like to avoid vet bills if I can.
I also think my gelding would benefit from a little socializing with other horses. I am too afraid to try gelding with stallion...

Any advise, pointers, or wake up calls for me?
Posted via Mobile Device

SarahAnn 12-28-2011 11:24 PM

Oh yeah, the other issue is that I have 4 pastures right now. 2 big ones, 2 small ones with minimal grass, and a riding arena. I have the 3 mares in the biggest one, but come summer, Blaze has to be in one with minimal grass because she founders easily. With Rain gone, she won't have a pasture mate.

Tuffy and Sage don't get along because they're both top dogs.

Blaze and Sage wanted to hurt each other.

Phoenix is a stallion.

Sage and Willow haven't been tried together yet, but Willow is 2 and a half and wild (in the sense that when she's out she likes to run, buck, rear, roll, repeat.) And Sage is very... Profound. I think she'd piss him off! Any tips on HOW to introduce them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 12-28-2011 11:52 PM

Blaze, Willow, Tuffy are the mares and Sage is your gelding, right? How are they all (individually) on groundwork? I was reading one site about introducing horses that suggested working them together. The idea is that if you put two (or more) horses that don't know each other or don't normally live together in a working environment they will bond while they work. So, for example, you might turn two out in the arena together and make them both work, do lunging, drive them over obstacles, move them around the arena, and make them WORK hard if they do anything other than focus on you (including getting pissy with each other). Repeat that until they're accustomed to behaving well and working together, never allowing them to practice bad behavior towards each other, and then turn out together once it's routine for them.

Some horses may never get along, but with time, patience and enough access to food, water, and space, most horses can at least be turned out together safely.

Left Hand Percherons 12-28-2011 11:52 PM

Why are you afraid of putting the stallion with the gelding? They could be perfect for each other and the stallion could benefit from some company.

SarahAnn 12-29-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpie (Post 1284040)
Blaze, Willow, Tuffy are the mares and Sage is your gelding, right? How are they all (individually) on groundwork? I was reading one site about introducing horses that suggested working them together. The idea is that if you put two (or more) horses that don't know each other or don't normally live together in a working environment they will bond while they work. So, for example, you might turn two out in the arena together and make them both work, do lunging, drive them over obstacles, move them around the arena, and make them WORK hard if they do anything other than focus on you (including getting pissy with each other). Repeat that until they're accustomed to behaving well and working together, never allowing them to practice bad behavior towards each other, and then turn out together once it's routine for them.

Some horses may never get along, but with time, patience and enough access to food, water, and space, most horses can at least be turned out together safely.

Very good idea. Thank you. They all have fantastic ground manners. I wonder how working them together would work, but I am willing to try.
Posted via Mobile Device

SarahAnn 12-29-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1284041)
Why are you afraid of putting the stallion with the gelding? They could be perfect for each other and the stallion could benefit from some company.

I have had a few encounters with the two of them, in the barn. It wasn't fun, but nothing they couldn't work out I suppose. I am just too afraid of someone getting hurt.

The other thing is that even if they DO get along, Blaze needs a pasture mate, and it can't be a stallion.
Posted via Mobile Device

kait18 12-29-2011 01:04 PM

i would try all of them except the stallion with blaze. to see who she gets along better with alone. do that seperation first.
once you have her and whichever one fits best then you can see what your left with. i would give each horse about 1-2 weeks to settle with blaze before trying another one. obvisously if it is to much for the old gal then seperate lol you get my gist :)

good luck

SarahAnn 12-29-2011 01:46 PM

Right now Blaze is pastured with the other girls. But come summer, it will have to change. She gets along well with all of the girls, but can't be out on the big pasture with lots of grass, and the smaller paddocks with no grass are too small for 3 horses. I think I need to see who gets along with Sage, and put the opposite one with Blaze. BUT if Sage and Pho get along, then they should be together so Pho doesn't have to be a lonely stallion. I am sure Blaze wouldn't mind being alone, as long as she could see everyone else. She's 20, and doesn't care much for the young horses energy levels anyways. She gets pissy when the "kids" are running around playing.

Do I introduce the Stallion and gelding with them each on a lead line? I mean, if they're not on a lead and start to get out of hand, how do I stop it?

kait18 12-29-2011 03:11 PM

do they respect a lunge line or lead rope encouraging them to move off?? if so from what i have seen thats all it took to get a friends gelding and stallion to settle down. but if you have 2 fields right next to each other i would start off like that. then move towards the field together... etc etc lol i personally would not want to be attached to 1 or 2 horses when they are meeting. you could somehow get in the middle and get hurt. jmo

SarahAnn 12-29-2011 05:19 PM

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to be in the middle of it, but I also want to be able to stop them if they get too pissy, so they don't hurt each other. They are stalled right next to each other, and they have been right next to each other in separate paddocks.
Posted via Mobile Device