The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Questions about moving and feedings on moving day. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/questions-about-moving-feedings-moving-day-107651/)

Cowgirls Boots 12-29-2011 11:21 AM

Questions about moving and feedings on moving day.

Sorry if this is in the totally wrong place. Please move if so.

Okay now tomorrow is the big moving day. He will be fed in the am with his normal feed and the round bail. He will be moved sometime in the afternoon. Now when he is at the new place should I feed him normally at night like always or just give hay? Or nothing? I'm planning on turning him out in the outdoor ring for a few days which is in the huge paddock so he can get aquatinted with the herd and then bring him in at night until he is comfortable and then turn him out in the big field and he will be out again 24/7 unless the weather is horrid.

What would you do? Also. He is goig to be on a different feed at this new place so I know to mix the two slowly and gradually so I don't upset his tummy.
Any opinions would be helpful. Thxx
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 12-29-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots (Post 1284622)
What would you do? Also. He is goig to be on a different feed at this new place so I know to mix the two slowly and gradually so I don't upset his tummy.
Any opinions would be helpful. Thxx
Posted via Mobile Device

Not necessary to mix the feed. If you can, great. If not you can simply start with a smaller amount of the new feed and work up to where the horse will need to be.

Moving barns isn't much different than going to a show or on a trail ride.

Spyder 12-29-2011 12:17 PM

If the feed is different try to take some of the old feed with you and mix it with the new feed. I don't like a horse to go from one feed to a totally new feed cold so if you can take enough so that over two feeding some of the old is there, that can prevent rejection or possible colic.

Cowgirls Boots 12-29-2011 03:19 PM

Okay I can definitely do that. I'll grab a small bucket of the feed he's on now and mix it for the next couple days. It's not two completely different feeds. They're both pellet. Just ones blue seal brand and the other is agway brand. But other then that ell be okay with hay and whatever else? Im a worry wart if you couldn't tell. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Spyder 12-29-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots (Post 1284950)
Okay I can definitely do that. I'll grab a small bucket of the feed he's on now and mix it for the next couple days. It's not two completely different feeds. They're both pellet. Just ones blue seal brand and the other is agway brand. But other then that ell be okay with hay and whatever else? Im a worry wart if you couldn't tell. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

There may be a slightly different taste and if it is easy to have a bit of the old I would rather do it and keep the horse happy.:lol:

Cowgirls Boots 12-29-2011 03:33 PM

Ok thank u! :D
Posted via Mobile Device