The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   What stallions do you like? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/what-stallions-do-you-like-107757/)

rbarlo32 12-30-2011 08:24 AM

What stallions do you like?

I am looking at appy stallions as I am thinking of maybe ptting her in foal to one in the very distant futre for a general hacking on the roads and showing. I would like the foal to make abot 15.2-16hh And molly is abot 14hh so the stallion will have to be quite big. They have of corse be well conformed, good to be ride and have a good carm temprement that they pass onto their foals. They mst be able to shipp frozen seman (sp) to the uk though I don't know yet if the vets are able to do AI and they are the only vets on the island. Photots of molly will be in my barn.
I really like this stallion but don't know if the cross would be big enogh.
STRAWS MIGHTY MAGNUM, Appaloosa Stallion at Stud in Grassy Butte, North Dakota - Appaloosa Horses for Sale, Appaloosa Horse Classified Ads, Appaloosa Stallions at Stud, - Appaloosa Horse Club

Faceman 12-30-2011 04:03 PM

Can you post Molly's pedigree?

NdAppy 12-30-2011 04:16 PM

Face - Molly doesn't have a pedigree. She is a grade tobiano with vasrnish.

Faceman 12-30-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1286425)
Face - Molly doesn't have a pedigree. She is a grade tobiano with vasrnish.

Ah so...:shock:

To the OP - you must not have visited Magnum's website. As with any good breeding stallion, prospective mares have to be approved, and I'm afraid Molly would not likely qualify.

You might try a lesser known stallion, although it will be difficult to get your 14 hand mare to produce a 16 hander unless she is anomalous to her breeding, meaning she is substantially shorter than her genetics would normally dictate...

Laures 12-31-2011 05:14 PM

i don't know anything about paints but i really like the belgian stallion QS Sensation.'
he's a son of Quorum out of a Sierra Supreme mare.

Cinnys Whinny 12-31-2011 05:30 PM

Also, unfortunately with breeding you can't always guarantee sizes. It's not like you can mix a small horse with a big horse and it comes out medium. Even if you breed to a big stallion, there is a possibility the horse will still be short like it's mare.

Also, if your mare is small, and you breed to a large stud, you may run across the problem of the foal being too big for the mare and have a LOT of health concerns for your mare. Think of it this way, would you breed a big Rottweiler to a female Chihuahua? No, because the puppies would likely kill the Chihuahua before they were even born. A foal that is too big for it's dam can cause all sorts of internal injuries.

I really wouldn't risk it, especially for a foal who will also be grade. You may end up losing them both.

rbarlo32 01-01-2012 05:13 AM

We are only thinking of putting her in foal as we probably won't as it would cost too much to get the semen from the US to the UK, plus the stud fee which for a good stallion are pretty high, then we don't think our vets can do AI in horses so it wouldn't happen. But I would love to put her in foal however unlikely it is, plus I love looking at stallions. The foal if I put her to an appy would be able to be registered with the British appaloosa society, plus she is at least 1/2 appy put don't have any pedigree ect.

Chiilaa 01-01-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 1287659)
Also, if your mare is small, and you breed to a large stud, you may run across the problem of the foal being too big for the mare and have a LOT of health concerns for your mare. Think of it this way, would you breed a big Rottweiler to a female Chihuahua? No, because the puppies would likely kill the Chihuahua before they were even born. A foal that is too big for it's dam can cause all sorts of internal injuries.

I really wouldn't risk it, especially for a foal who will also be grade. You may end up losing them both.

This is a grossly different situation. The size difference between a Chihuahua and a Rottweiler is huge, the rotty is probably 10 times the size of the Chi, if not a touch more than that. The difference between a 14hh mare and a 16hh stallion is miniscule in comparison. There has been studies done that almost definitively prove that the foal is born a size the mare can birth, no matter how tall its genetics say it will get. And a foal that matures to 16hh is not going to have any issues nursing from a 14hh mare.

As for the grade status of the foal, please remember that the OP is in Scotland, on a tiny island in the middle of no-where. I am 100% sure that unless you are there, you don't know anything about the horse market in the Shetlands. I bet no one over there will either a - use the term "grade" or b - care about its breeding. The North American horse market might be going down the gurgler at the moment (low to middle end anyway), but don't let that lead you to assume that the rest of the world is suffering from the same problems.

rbarlo32 01-01-2012 06:33 AM

The horse market is dire here especially for the poor Shetland pony well bred colts are going for like 5, however if the foal make a reasonable height then I would keep it, however there are not many appaloosas in Britain and they sell for a lot. But as I said it probably won't happen as it would cost far to much and I don't really like most of the appaloosa stallions at stud so that why I asks because I have no idea what stallions are available in the US.

Cinnys Whinny 01-01-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1288248)
This is a grossly different situation. The size difference between a Chihuahua and a Rottweiler is huge, the rotty is probably 10 times the size of the Chi, if not a touch more than that. The difference between a 14hh mare and a 16hh stallion is miniscule in comparison. There has been studies done that almost definitively prove that the foal is born a size the mare can birth, no matter how tall its genetics say it will get. And a foal that matures to 16hh is not going to have any issues nursing from a 14hh mare.

I know it's grossly exaggerated, I was making a point. And it's not necessarily so minuscule if you think of the build of the mare versus the build of most of the "big" Appy studs, especially the ones we have here. They are much bigger build than the mare as well.

With so many things that could go wrong with a horse's pregnancy, why add one more issue to the equation? I'm glad the OP says she's mainly just looking, and fantasizing but that it probably isn't a reality to do. I don't mean to sound mean, because many of us (I'm sure) have fantasized about breeding our horse.