The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need blanket assistance please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-blanket-assistance-please-107767/)

SmallTownGypsy 12-30-2011 12:20 PM

Need blanket assistance please

Hello,
I'm buying blankets for the Gypsy Horses and I was wondering if someone could suggest a brand or type or heaviness. I live in East Tennessee so the coldest it gets low 20s. I had a blanket picked out, but then I found out the size needed and it didn't come small enough. Then I found a really nice stable blanket for a good price, would be awesome for night, but it's not for turn out during the day. So any tips? Looking for size 64".
Of course I also read that horses shouldn't even be blanketed unless it's wet or windy. I've never blanketed my horses in the past. Am I over doing it? I know I'm going to pamper these two. I think I'm definitely getting the Snuggie Stable Blankets for them for the night time. It gets so cold here at night. Brrr!

Wallaby 12-30-2011 01:07 PM

I'm of the opinion that the choice to blanket is a personal decision. Some people will tell you that blanketing is terrible and some will tell you that you should never ever blanket.
Basically, it's something that should be decided after you understand all the factors and weigh them in your mind to determine the right choice for you and your horses.

I'm perfectly fine with blanketing. I think young chubby horses with shelter most of the time don't need to be blanketed (I don't know if your horses fall into that category). However, I also think it's a jerk move to put a saddle on a wet horse (due to the fact that you really can't clean a wet horse with brushes) so horses that are to be ridden should be dry before they are ridden and the easiest way to do that is with a blanket. I have ridden a very wet horse many times and that horse has survived, I just felt like a jerk for riding a dirty, wet horse.
I think older horses should be blanketed as a general rule. Their internal temperature monitoring thing is getting a little creaky at their age, and I think it's just more respectful to help them keep themselves warm.

Personally, I think that if it makes you feel better to blanket, your horses aren't going to be harmed by being blanketed. As long as you follow a blanketing chart (those ones that tell you what blanket weight for what temperature), your horses will be just fine. Just don't go sticking a lightweight sheet on your horse in 30 degree weather and expect that to warm your horse. It doesn't work that way. :lol:

That being said, I've seem tons of people recommending these blankets as great things (don't have one myself, yet) but I'm not sure if they come in a 64...

StormShieldŽ CLASSIC EURO Contour Collar Turnouts in Euro Fit at Schneider Saddlery

Here's a page that seems to have quite a few pony blankets (aka, size 64):

Junior / Pony Blankets at Schneider Saddlery

Of those, this one seemed to be the best priced but I'm not sure why:

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...nior-turnouts/

mls 12-30-2011 01:13 PM

Smith Brothers is having a great sale on blankets right now.

My first need is denier - the higher ther denier the less *likely* the blanket will rip and be ruined. Elastic leg straps are a must too!

loveduffy 12-30-2011 01:16 PM

I use smartpak to get things form and they have a good choice of blankets. I blanket my Belgian guy

DrumRunner 12-30-2011 01:19 PM

Love this blanket. Like mls said, the higher denier you get the better. They won't tear easy if your horses are rough on blankets and in my experience they last longer. I have two right now for my QH's and they wear them for long periods of time, which is usually fine as long as you check the blankets daily and the fit properly. Mine are extremely rough on blankets. They will roll in them, scratch on things, bite and play rough with each other and I haven't had one single problem with this blanket. Plus the blankets are nice quality for a really good price.

StormShieldŽ CLASSIC EURO Contour Collar Turnouts in Euro Fit at Schneider Saddlery

SmallTownGypsy 12-30-2011 02:34 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the tips on where to look! Having been doing most of my supply shopping at State Line Tack I'm pleased to see these prices (with reviews to back up the quality!).

loveduffy 12-30-2011 03:01 PM

I try to get Rambo they are pricey but worth the money