The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Bending to the inside *help* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/bending-inside-%2Ahelp%2A-107768/)

Karolyne 12-30-2011 11:43 AM

Bending to the inside *help*

So I have been taking English lessons once a week for a few months now. I'm at the point where my instructor is asking me more often to have the horse bend inwards a little. I help support with my inside leg, and wiggle on the inside rein until i get a response. Occasionally I will have some luck, but it takes me a while for the lesson horse to actually respond. Any advice on hand placement, legs, anything will help! Thanks :D

Kayty 12-30-2011 09:26 PM

Why can you not discus this with your instructor? If they know what they are doing, they will be able to teach you how to ask for inside bend, rather than leave you to guess.

itsmeaghan 12-30-2011 10:09 PM

From what I know and what i've learned when your asking for and inside bend you want to open your outside rein and close in your inside rein. Not sure what your instructor is asking but i agree you should discuss it with them.

Kayty 12-30-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeaghan (Post 1286922)
From what I know and what i've learned when your asking for and inside bend you want to open your outside rein and close in your inside rein. Not sure what your instructor is asking but i agree you should discuss it with them.

Open your outside rein and close your inside rein?
Inside bend does not come from pulling the head around with the reins. Bend is created through the horse's whole body, the reins merely support the bend, but the bend itself comes from the rider's seat and leg, engagement of the inside hind leg and the horse 'wrapping' itself around the rider's inside leg. The rein contact should remain even, and only support the bend by keeping a consistent contact throughout. You can touch your inside rein to ask for a little more flexion through the poll, and a give in the jaw, but never more than a touch, or you will end up with head tilt and a horse that blocks its poll and jaw.

I think the OP's first port of call is to ask her instructor directly. It is the instructor's job to teach the OP, the instructor is being paid to do so. If the OP is still struggling with the concept, then maybe coming back here and asking to have some more detailed response to their query will help, but they will not learn to feel inside bend by reading it on a webpage, merely learn the mechanics of it.

itsmeaghan 12-30-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1286974)
Open your outside rein and close your inside rein?
Inside bend does not come from pulling the head around with the reins. Bend is created through the horse's whole body, the reins merely support the bend, but the bend itself comes from the rider's seat and leg, engagement of the inside hind leg and the horse 'wrapping' itself around the rider's inside leg. The rein contact should remain even, and only support the bend by keeping a consistent contact throughout. You can touch your inside rein to ask for a little more flexion through the poll, and a give in the jaw, but never more than a touch, or you will end up with head tilt and a horse that blocks its poll and jaw.

I think the OP's first port of call is to ask her instructor directly. It is the instructor's job to teach the OP, the instructor is being paid to do so. If the OP is still struggling with the concept, then maybe coming back here and asking to have some more detailed response to their query will help, but they will not learn to feel inside bend by reading it on a webpage, merely learn the mechanics of it.

In my situation yes it does. Different horses cause for different techniques thats all im saying. But thanks anyway?

Kayty 12-30-2011 10:45 PM

Sorry not having a shot at you. Just curious as my idea of opening the outside rein and closing the inside rein might differ to yours. To me, opening the outside rein is taking the outside rein out off the neck, and closing the inside rein is bringing the inside rein into the neck which essentially pulls the head to the inside.
This in itself physically cannot produce inside bend in a horse. Only inside neck bend, while the body stays straight. And this is not correct...

itsmeaghan 12-30-2011 10:50 PM

Well say this with my horse around the corners i use this but say for a straight away i use both hands and both reins but like i said different horses or say for a nice bending circle id use the inside bed but also have inside leg so his body can go with his head.

Kayty 12-30-2011 10:55 PM

Different horses yes, but of the number of horses that I have ridden, trained, owned and competed, I am yet to find one that will bend through the body, use its inside hind leg under its centre of gravity, and fill up my hands, by pulling on the inside rein. I have always found that this does the opposite, yep the neck comes to the inside, but the head tilts at the poll and the inside hind shoots straight out the back door while the inside shoulder drops and outside shoulder bulges.

itsmeaghan 12-30-2011 10:59 PM

Okay I understand where your coming from I misunderstood im going more for a bend say if you wanted to get your horse out more in the ring and/or for circles

SorrelHorse 12-30-2011 11:10 PM

With kayty on this one.

I would round the horses body around your inside legs. Use the inside rein to take the flexion, but that doesn't mean throw away your outside rein. Most of the flexion should come from your seat and legs, like Kayty said. I round mine up into the bridle with both my legs, but one leg will have a slightly differant cue than the other. The inside leg will touch the middle with the spur and give one "Curling point", and the outside just barely closes with my calf to bring the horse under itself still.