The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Getting back into being a BM? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/getting-back-into-being-bm-107812/)

CinderEve 12-30-2011 07:53 PM

Getting back into being a BM?

A few years ago I had the absolute amazing opportunity to start my own barn. A perfect facility opened, a deal was made, I was able to bring in clients quickly enough that I didn't have to make too much of a risk. Unfortunately, I brought a "friend" in to be the co-BM and it ended in disaster.

Fast forward a few years on, and I still have old clients asking when I'll give lessons again, when I'll get back into the barn "society" and I've just pushed it off that I don't need/want the drama.

Truth is, I miss it. I miss the hard work (I know, I'm crazy) I miss the community, I miss the horses, the good, the bad and the ugly.

It looks as though an opportunity for a small barn (20+ stalls) may have come up. My heart and my "gut" want to get back into it... but I'm still kind of gun shy about the whole situation. I know at least a dozen clients that would come immediately. I would also be able to bring my new filly in and work her.

Financially I can do it. Time wise I can do it. I just need an extra dose of courage I guess.

Taffy Clayton 12-30-2011 08:05 PM

Go for it!!!! next year you might be sorry you didn't.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU

waresbear 12-30-2011 08:16 PM

Do it, otherwise you'll regret it.

jumpingrules92 12-30-2011 08:21 PM

Go for it. Come be ours, we need a new one....Haha. But in all seriousness- follow your heart, its the only way in life your sure to be happy.

CinderEve 12-30-2011 08:59 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I spoke with the property owner again this evening and I'm going back out for another look at the property on Sunday afternoon.

I guess after Sunday I'll make my decision. I'm getting a little bit excited! The property has a large indoor arena, outdoor arena, turnouts plus a pasture and hay field. The PO mentioned about leasing the hay field but I'm not so sure about that.

Cacowgirl 12-30-2011 09:56 PM

It's never too late to follow your dreams-I say-Go for it!

jumpingrules92 12-30-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinderEve (Post 1286736)
Thanks for the encouragement. I spoke with the property owner again this evening and I'm going back out for another look at the property on Sunday afternoon.

I guess after Sunday I'll make my decision. I'm getting a little bit excited! The property has a large indoor arena, outdoor arena, turnouts plus a pasture and hay field. The PO mentioned about leasing the hay field but I'm not so sure about that.

That sounds like an insane amount of fun! "Its not the things we do that we regret, but the things we didn't do". :) I want pictures!

CinderEve 12-30-2011 10:48 PM

It's fun, but tough too. I work full time as well so it will be interesting.

jumpingrules92 12-30-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinderEve (Post 1286889)
It's fun, but tough too. I work full time as well so it will be interesting.

I know, I did it for a while too. I finally gave up. It was too much for me. It wasn't the horses- it was the humans. HA.

Ray MacDonald 12-30-2011 11:12 PM

I'm a little confused... Will you own the barn or just work for the barn?