The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   RIP Velvet <3 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/rip-velvet-3-a-107813/)

CruceyMoose 12-30-2011 06:57 PM

RIP Velvet <3

I just had one of my two horses euthanized this afternoon. She was 15. Not old enough. She was a rescue that had a carcinoma that wasn't being treated, so we bought her and treated her. Velvet was the sweetest, cuddliest horse. She colicked badly Monday night, recovered, and colicked again Tuesday night. The vet was out Tuesday, and my mom (a small animal vet) slept at the barn Tuesday to Wednesday. Wednesday, she was brought to the vet clinic. It was impaction colic. She cleared her system that night, and yesterday we were told we could bring her back home. Then, the vet said she still seemed in pain and he wanted to keep an eye on her, but that we could bring her home today. Well. She stopped eating and drinking (extremely extremely food motivated horse) and the vet x-rayed her mouth. I'm not 100% sure what is was, but from what I gathered she had a molar that was broken, and more or less shattered under the gum. It was causing her extreme pain, and since she couldn't eat or drink well, it was an emergency. They said she would have to be referred to a university 5 hours away for surgery for it to be done, and it would be very expensive. We decided between the cancer and colic and everything, we would just let her have her peace. My other horse, a 7 year old Thoroughbred mare, needs tooth surgery too, but it's less of an emergency. She can still eat and drink without an issue. I have never felt so heartbroken or devastated, I've been sobbing nearly solidly since I found out she wasn't going to make it last night.
She was too young for this, only 15. I can't believe she's gone. I've known her for 5 years and owned her for 1.5. She's always been there, no matter what.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...57628131_n.jpg
That's my friend on her at a show.

themacpack 12-30-2011 07:02 PM

I am so very sorry. Even if her life was too short, her time with you was clearly spent well and lived fully. {hugs}

Taffy Clayton 12-30-2011 07:08 PM

I am so sorry for you loss she was a beautiful mare.
My heart goes out to you.

Apple 12-30-2011 10:03 PM

What a shame, she was a beautiful appy. She will be missed v.v

CruceyMoose 12-30-2011 11:09 PM

Thanks everyone<3 She could be the biggest pain to ride sometimes (could drop her shoulder and whip out a buck and you'd be on the ground wondering wheat just happened in a heartbeat) but god could she jump...trotted 3' no prob, and she was 14.2. It still sorta doesn't sink in that I'm not going to see her again...

HorseLovinLady 12-31-2011 04:12 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. ((((((Hugs))))) Velvet was beautiful.

CruceyMoose 01-08-2012 02:53 PM

Thank you, she was such a sweetheart and a character.

VT Trail Trotters 01-10-2012 06:06 PM

Bueatuful horse Velvet was.

cooperandsandy717 01-10-2012 10:06 PM

I'm so sorry. She was a beautiful mare. She rests happily and without any pain now and she'll never get sick again. She'll always be in your heart and will watch over you everyday. Stay strong girl.<3

MHFoundation Quarters 01-10-2012 10:36 PM

So sorry for your loss.