The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   video on my lesson.. any tips ? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/video-my-lesson-any-tips-107820/)

itsmeaghan 12-30-2011 08:40 PM

video on my lesson.. any tips ?

itsmeaghan 12-30-2011 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And Heres just jumping picture

skyhorse1999 01-01-2012 01:38 PM

i think it looks really good!!!!! btw your horse is gorgeous!

hflmusicislife 01-01-2012 04:54 PM

In some of your flat work, especially at the canter, you need to bring your leg under your hip a little more. You're in a bit of a chair seat. For the jumping, you need to flatten your back and try not to hunch on the landing (this is my worst habit too, so you're definitely not alone haha) Your leg also slides a bit and your heel could be a little deeper. Personally, I'd put your stirrups up a hole or two to jump but that might just be me... Try doing some work without stirrups and in two point to make your leg a bit more secure.

Overall you guys look great. Your horse looks like he can be a bit difficult to handle sometimes and you do a nice job with him :) He's super cute by the way!

justjump 01-01-2012 06:00 PM

The thing that stands out to me the most is your leg. At first I thought your leg position looked awesome, but then it started to swing forward at the canter, and very far back over jumps. Drop your irons! Take them off your saddle! Having a great solid leg is the foundation of your riding. Without it, everything else will fall out of place. I find that working on one thing at a time will give you the most results, so I would go back to the flat work and just work on your lower leg. Then post another video :)

You and your horse look like you have a fantastic connection, and with that, you can achieve anything :)
Posted via Mobile Device

SugarPlumLove 01-02-2012 01:19 PM

I can't watch the video appearantly because I'm in the wrong country but in the picture I notice that your elbows are sticking out a bit and your wrists are bent the wrong way. Otherwise nice position though!

gypsygirl 01-02-2012 08:11 PM

the biggest thing i notice is your chair seat. when jumps are added into the picture, you end up throwing yourself up is neck to keep up, then end up coming back down on his back on landing. over all, you look like a pretty good rider, you just need to get your base of support.

MudPaint 01-03-2012 11:18 PM

^^^ what gypsygirl said.

Something else I noticed... and this just may be your horse or it may be you. It's hard to tell. Does he naturally bunch up his stride like that before the fence or are you holding him? It's really encouraging him to jump with his forearm down. Either way, I'd encourage a more round, engaged canter to the fences so you can push him out in front of him and hit correct distances everytime. He shouldn't have to twist to get through a line.

I would also work on bringing back your shoulders, raising your hands a bit and opening your chest on approach to fences. Like your landing you roach a bit and leave your hands on the neck.

That being said, you two obviously work well together... he looks like a horse who is very excited about his job and you do an excellent job staying with his varying jump style. Little work on your base and Eq and some dressage and you'd be stellar.

emeraldstar642 01-06-2012 01:37 PM

Overall, pretty good, but there are a few things that you need to correct. First of all like the above posters mentioned, you have a chair seat. You need to work on bringing your leg beneath you and under your hip. The reason for chair seat may be that you are pinching with your knees. Try to loosen it off. The grip should be in your calves, not your knees. Try (at a standstill) moving your leg back beneath your hip. Then place a dollar bill between your calf and the horse. Try to ride around the arena like that without it falling out at a walk, trot, and canter. You can also try putting a marshmallow between your knee and the saddle (depending on how big the knee rolls are) and try to ride around without squishing it. Riding bareback and stirrup-less are also good exercises.

I also noticed you really seem to be absorbing the motion in your lower back instead of your legs. Try to keep it supple but not arching. Keep your shoulders tall and do not let your inner shoulder collapse at the corners. Also, when you go over a jump, I notice your lower leg swings back and forth a bit. This could also be the result of gripping with your knees, and a warning that you need to keep a steadier leg and perhaps practice more flatwork and lower jumps.

Overall though, great riding, just fix a few things and you'll be doign excellent. Hope I was helpful. :)

farmpony84 01-06-2012 01:46 PM

I had a hard time with the video because it flashed from a video to a picture and back so quickly but what I got out of it was that you are a very pretty passenger. You need to bring your lower leg back some and use your seat to control his spead and direction.

You guys are a really cute pair and you have great respect on the ground...