The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse people who are just *weird*! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-people-who-just-%2Aweird%2A-107874/)

Showjumper1 12-31-2011 01:03 PM

Horse people who are just *weird*!

My husband and I work at a boarding facility, cleaning stalls, breaking the ice on the water buckets, refilling waters, etc. This one horse at the ranch just began getting leased out to a new lady, and a couple weeks ago the horse suddenly had this floating football in her water bucket (I guess to keep her entertained? haha), then today when my husband was breaking the ice buckets and came to her stall, he gave me a strange look, and lifted a dummy/decoy duck out of her water. The things that that lady/or the owner keeps putting in the water keeps getting stranger and stranger, lol.

Also, when there's a well broke horse with a paranoid scared owner, who goes up to the horse with the saddle pad or other piece of tack, they ask the horse if they can put it on. "Is it okay if I put this on you? Okay I'm going to put the pad on you now" haha.

What are the strangest/weirdest things you've seen other horse people do? Or say?

sierrams1123 12-31-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Showjumper1 (Post 1287489)
..........and came to her stall, he gave me a strange look, and lifted a dummy/decoy duck out of her water.

was her water frozen?

Showjumper1 12-31-2011 01:12 PM

I think it was. Why?

JenniMay 12-31-2011 01:13 PM

Floating a ball or other object will keep the water from freezing.

Showjumper1 12-31-2011 01:14 PM

I didn't know that. I stand corrected. Maybe she's not as strange as I first thought.

sierrams1123 12-31-2011 01:19 PM

that is why I asked. :)
I heard this a while back, and it seems to work for me.

Showjumper1 12-31-2011 01:25 PM

lol now I feel silly. It's just a strange thing to see when you don't know about it preventing things icing over. It looks funny to have a fake duck in a horse's water, ya know?

CinderEve 12-31-2011 01:32 PM

lol yeah I usually keep some kind of ball in the troughs.
Sometimes I'll keep goldfish in the bigger ones to keep down bugs.
And the asking thing, its just talking to the horse. I know a lot of people that do it. Not like the horse will say anything back... Well if it does I'll need committed!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-31-2011 01:37 PM

In all honesty, what is the point of having a thread where you talk about all the wierd things other people do?

grayshell38 12-31-2011 01:43 PM

I didn't see this as a "stupid things people do", rather, a "strange" things people do, thread.

One strange thing from my stint at a boarding barn, a lady wouldn't let her horses have any kind of salt or mineral block because "1. It had arsenic in it 2. It is nothing but rust, which is why it is red 3. It has a whole bunch of inhancers that make horses addicted to it. So they eat enough of it that the low amounts of arsenic eventually kill them."
Lesson learned. Salt kills. lol