The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Ahhhhhh White Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/ahhhhhh-white-horse-grooming-107875/)

PalominoOwner 12-31-2011 01:21 PM

Ahhhhhh White Horse Grooming

I bought a white horse for doing pleasure showing How do you guys do for making a white horse spotless and what products do you use

OuttatheBlue 01-01-2012 08:56 PM

Congrats on the new horse!! :) I have a faded gray paint (basically ALL white), be ready to wash your horse a LOT.

To keep my horse white in the winter- he has a winter blanket, I normally keep his tail wrapped up with vet-wrap, I brush him on regular occasions and that's it. I don't obsess with him being perfectly white, and most days he isn't.

In the summer (my show season) it is a lot easier to bath, but more work. After every ride I hose him off (no shampoo, and he's usually sweaty anyways so it's a win-win). Day before the show I do most of the prep, I wash him with a whitening shampoo (Quick Silver works wonders) really concentrating on those stained spots, but making sure to shampoo all over. I leave the shampoo in for about 10 minutes on his mane, tail and any spots.
After he is all rinsed off, I start on the tail and spray with a cowboy magic and a leave in whitener. After it's brushed and silky, I braid it and put it into a tail bag. Then I clean his face, he HATES water around his face, so I get a soaking wet rag and use that first on his face to get major dirt. I use a rag full of leave in whitener after to give it that 'glow'.
After I'm done with all of that he's usually dry enough to do stuff like clipping, braiding/banding mane. Then I put on a sleezy (it will be your best friend!), a lightweight blanket and make sure his stall is 110% clean with LOTS of fresh bedding! My horse has a run attached to his stall, but I always keep him in just the stall the day before just so he doesn't rip his sleezy or have a horse rip his blanket. I also add extra hay to hopefully keep him busy enough he won't want to roll.
In the morning the next day I get up early to do touch ups, and always plan on washing his legs again so they get that special glow. Make sure you leave enough time for the legs to dry though!

Have fun with your new horse, be prepared for lots of baths!

PalominoOwner 01-01-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OuttatheBlue (Post 1289081)
Congrats on the new horse!! :) I have a faded gray paint (basically ALL white), be ready to wash your horse a LOT.

To keep my horse white in the winter- he has a winter blanket, I normally keep his tail wrapped up with vet-wrap, I brush him on regular occasions and that's it. I don't obsess with him being perfectly white, and most days he isn't.

In the summer (my show season) it is a lot easier to bath, but more work. After every ride I hose him off (no shampoo, and he's usually sweaty anyways so it's a win-win). Day before the show I do most of the prep, I wash him with a whitening shampoo (Quick Silver works wonders) really concentrating on those stained spots, but making sure to shampoo all over. I leave the shampoo in for about 10 minutes on his mane, tail and any spots.
After he is all rinsed off, I start on the tail and spray with a cowboy magic and a leave in whitener. After it's brushed and silky, I braid it and put it into a tail bag. Then I clean his face, he HATES water around his face, so I get a soaking wet rag and use that first on his face to get major dirt. I use a rag full of leave in whitener after to give it that 'glow'.
After I'm done with all of that he's usually dry enough to do stuff like clipping, braiding/banding mane. Then I put on a sleezy (it will be your best friend!), a lightweight blanket and make sure his stall is 110% clean with LOTS of fresh bedding! My horse has a run attached to his stall, but I always keep him in just the stall the day before just so he doesn't rip his sleezy or have a horse rip his blanket. I also add extra hay to hopefully keep him busy enough he won't want to roll.
In the morning the next day I get up early to do touch ups, and always plan on washing his legs again so they get that special glow. Make sure you leave enough time for the legs to dry though!

Have fun with your new horse, be prepared for lots of baths!

can i wear black on a white horse

OuttatheBlue 01-01-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalominoOwner (Post 1289316)
can i wear black on a white horse

For shows? I do, I have a black and turquoise saddle pad I use on my gelding and I think it really stands out nice. The only problem is you have to make sure the black stays a very crisp black! I always bring several lint rollers with me, and make sure to keep the pad/show clothes in a bag as long as possible.

PalominoOwner 01-01-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OuttatheBlue (Post 1289323)
For shows? I do, I have a black and turquoise saddle pad I use on my gelding and I think it really stands out nice. The only problem is you have to make sure the black stays a very crisp black! I always bring several lint rollers with me, and make sure to keep the pad/show clothes in a bag as long as possible.

thanks you have been really helpful also i have a 16.0 HH horse would you reccomend a head bumper for trailering

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-01-2012 11:55 PM

YOU can wear whatever color you like and it will look smashing on a white horse.

I have several who are a lot of white to mostly white and Quick Silver shampoo is your 2nd Best Friend Forever. W.O.W. from Healing Tree products is your VERY Best Friend Forever, and Roux Fancifull White or Ultra White Minx rinses are your 3rd BFF's. If the tail is so stained it just won't come white with the 1st 2 products, then Roux will fix it. And you're not changing the natural color of the tail, so it's a legal fix. Don't forget cornstarch for those legs too, if they get dirty right before you're due to show, brush cornstarch into the leg fur and brush real good and brush most of it out, it will attract a lot of the dirt and get you clean enough to go in.

Here's one of my Pintos and I've just bathed her and put the Roux in her mane and tail because she was REALLLLLLY dirty. She got impatient and kicked the running board on the trailer, so she got to wear a bandage for a little while to keep from getting blood stains on herself.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...ngMovement.jpg

Here's my dirty cremello, it's too cold to wash him right now, so he'll get fixed up from this, in spring. This is actually cleaner than she was when I bathed her, above.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...s123011018.jpg

lubylol 01-01-2012 11:58 PM

I have a head bumper for my 15h horse because he reared up one time and bonked his head, it's highly recomended. :)

Also, I put polos on my horses legs to keep them clean because he has 3 white socks :) that saves you extra bathing time in the morning
Posted via Mobile Device

OuttatheBlue 01-01-2012 11:59 PM

I second W.O.W. GREAT product!! The only store that carries it is an hour away from me unfortunately so I've been using the cowboy magic whitener as a substitute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalominoOwner (Post 1289329)
thanks you have been really helpful also i have a 16.0 HH horse would you reccomend a head bumper for trailering

No problem! Depends on how high the trailer is, how long your trailering for and how accident prone your horse is.

My horse is 16.1 HH and I've never had to use a head bumper for him. He's been trailered for up to two hours in slants and straight loads of all sizes (though regularly in an extra tall trailer).

It never hurts being safer than sorry though, especially if you have a rearer, are traveling for many hours or have a really small trailer (which I just wouldn't recommend for a taller horse).

PalominoOwner 01-02-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OuttatheBlue (Post 1289341)
I second W.O.W. GREAT product!! The only store that carries it is an hour away from me unfortunately so I've been using the cowboy magic whitener as a substitute.

No problem! Depends on how high the trailer is, how long your trailering for and how accident prone your horse is.

My horse is 16.1 HH and I've never had to use a head bumper for him. He's been trailered for up to two hours in slants and straight loads of all sizes (though regularly in an extra tall trailer).

It never hurts being safer than sorry though, especially if you have a rearer, are traveling for many hours or have a really small trailer (which I just wouldn't recommend for a taller horse).

what about shipping boots

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-02-2012 12:05 AM

Ditto what Outtatheblue said about the head bumpers ^^. I have some really tall horses but they're easy to trailer, so I never worry about a bumper, tho' I do own one.....somewhere.

You can order W.O.W. on line through Healing Tree, that's how I get mine. Not a single shop I've been in out here in OK carries the products. WOW® Sustained Equine Action Whitener, Natural Color Restorer, and Green Spot Remover

Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover and Vetrolin Green Spot Out are both excellent spot removers but the W.O.W. seems to help the hair not stain as bad between shampoos, so I keep going back to it. I also use Healthy Hair Care spray on conditioner daily, I buy it by the gallon.

NO on shipping boots, they don't usually fit well and fall down so the horse can step on them and scare themselves. I'd use polo wraps and bell boots over shipping boots any day.