The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Completely Tackless (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/completely-tackless-107883/)

ALittleBitOfSaint 12-31-2011 03:25 PM

Completely Tackless

So I have a big ole quarter horse who is a reiner. And I would absolutely love to go completely tackless with him! I got the bareback down, I just could use some help with the bridleless part. I don't even know where to begin with going bridleless! He responds very well to leg yielding. If you could please share your stories/advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Courtney 12-31-2011 03:34 PM

Does he neck rein? If so, throw a halter and lead on him (for back up) and use your hands to create pressure on his neck to turn him.

ALittleBitOfSaint 12-31-2011 03:37 PM

Thank you! And yes he neck reins

smrobs 12-31-2011 03:37 PM

Does he turn off your legs or does he just yield his hindquarters? Does he stop off of your seat with no cues at all from the reins? If you can stop and turn him with nothing but legs and seat, then riding him bridleless should be as simple as taking off the bridle. If he doesn't do all that, then you should get him working off legs/seat only before you even try.

IMHO, being able to ride bridleless isn't something to be trained toward, it should be nothing more than a by-product of good, thorough training.

Rule of Reason 01-01-2012 12:24 AM

Just out of curiosity, can you explain to me the attraction of this? I just don't get it.

aggiegirl14 01-01-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rule of Reason (Post 1288142)
Just out of curiosity, can you explain to me the attraction of this? I just don't get it.

It's just a great feeling and something fun to work towards. I don't see what's not to get about it...

rocky pony 01-01-2012 01:41 AM

I have a lot of fun riding my horses bridleless from time to time when we've gotten their controls down and I can see that I can trust them. I've had a couple of flops where the horse took off at a mad gallop around the arena and was unstoppable...that was fun, lol...

After that happened I started to really understand the same message smrobs added that I'd been hearing a lot, it really does come as a byproduct of good, solid training. Once I started to understand that I started putting even more value on just getting myself to be less reliant on my hands so that my horses would be really soft and responsive to my seat and legs in general, until eventually they wouldn't need the reins at all. Now I work hard on that with all of my horses and once they're solid I barely touch the reins, it's all in the seat and legs. Once you get there, taking the bridle off is a cinch.

franknbeans 01-01-2012 05:44 AM

Rule-watch some of Stacy Westfalls videos, then perhaps you will get it.

OP-If your horse is a reiner in the truest sense and is tuned up, this shouldn't be much of an issue at all. Any good reiner I know turns off leg, stops and backs up off seat and leg position. It really is as simple as smrobs said.

Cherie 01-01-2012 06:47 PM

The people that ride bridle-less and finally tack-less start out by riding with a bridle on the very well-trained horse with the reins knotted and the rider sitting on the tails of the reins. They are only there to reinforce and 'fix' any lack of control without them --- but they are there. You should never even think about riding bridle-less until you can put in ride after ride without having to pick up the reins on the bridle you have on the horse for a back-up plan. YOU DO NOT TRAIN WITHOUT A BRIDLE!

The natural progression is to ride first with a wire loop around the horse's neck. Most well-trained reiners will ride this way anyway. The thing you have to work on the most is controlling the direction the nose points. That is the most difficult thing to achieve when you lay down the reins.

Once you have a horse that can ride without a bridle, you go back to practice sessions with the bridle on but not being used. Then, you can correct the slightest wrong move. If you don't, horses quickly learn that they can cheat -- a little at first and a whole lot after a few rides with no corrections.

franknbeans 01-01-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1288886)
The people that ride bridle-less and finally tack-less start out by riding with a bridle on the very well-trained horse with the reins knotted and the rider sitting on the tails of the reins. They are only there to reinforce and 'fix' any lack of control without them --- but they are there. You should never even think about riding bridle-less until you can put in ride after ride without having to pick up the reins on the bridle you have on the horse for a back-up plan. YOU DO NOT TRAIN WITHOUT A BRIDLE!

The natural progression is to ride first with a wire loop around the horse's neck. Most well-trained reiners will ride this way anyway. The thing you have to work on the most is controlling the direction the nose points. That is the most difficult thing to achieve when you lay down the reins.

Once you have a horse that can ride without a bridle, you go back to practice sessions with the bridle on but not being used. Then, you can correct the slightest wrong move. If you don't, horses quickly learn that they can cheat -- a little at first and a whole lot after a few rides with no corrections.

:shock::shock: YIKES! NO! not a wire! Use a neck string. Wire is dangerous! THe ones I have seen do it have a string, about 1/4 inch in diameter......