The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   feed percentages by weight. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feed-percentages-weight-108058/)

Prinella 01-02-2012 06:39 AM

feed percentages by weight.

Hi Guys ,

As part of my cert IV i have to plan a daily feed routine for 2 horses. I've fed predominately hay pellets plus any needed supplements for years so I'm kinda grasping at staws. I was hoping someone who knows more then me could take a look and see how I'm going.

These are hypothetical horses so i have no further details.

The first horse is a 16hh working 5 days a week doing dressage and some jumping with a capable teenager. the horse has access to good grass and some clover.

So I thought:

at 16hh he must be around 525kg, feeding at 2.5% body weight he would need 13.125 kg a day
guessing he'll get around 4kg of grass a day leaving 9.125kg of hard feed

I have him on 2 feeds a day considering he has grass all day and night.

am
1kg oaten chaff - providing roughage
1 kg luc chaff - providing energy, protein, calcium
1 kg oats high energy high phospherous
1 kg barley energy, phospherous and fat
the clover in the grass provides calcium

pm
1.5 kg oaten chaff
1.5 kg luc chaff
1 kg oats
1 kg barley

The Second horse is a 13.2 hh 16yo pony working in a riding school. working 6 days a week living a small paddock without a lot of grass.

assuming he's about 250kg in medium work but I'm feeding for high work considering age.

at 250kg he needs 5 kg of feed a day.

I have him on 3 feeds a day.

am
2kg grass hay , providing roughage and some energy

noon
750g oaten chaff, low energy roughage
250g luc chaff, high energy, protein, calcium

Left Hand Percherons 01-02-2012 10:46 AM

If this horse has access to good quality grass 24/7, he's not going to bother eating oat chaff. He'll most likely eat the lucerne. He will consume 15-20 Kg of pasture per day probably more.

You're going to have an inverted ratio of Ca:P. Barley is 1:2. Oats 1:4, Oat chaff 1:2 and Lucern 3:1. Even with the clover in the pasture, I'd want more Ca. Your goal should be 2:1

You get very little fat out of barley. Only about 2%. Every feed item you list only has about 2% fat.

first horse is going to get a nice quality vitamin and mineral package from the green grass so the only things he's lacking is salt. The pony however because he isn't getting any green grass needs some type of vitamin and mineral supplement plus the salt.

Prinella 01-02-2012 07:48 PM

I had a look at it again and decided to try what I know. I love the Hygain balanced. Does this look better?

Am I still feeding the first horse too much? Confession time, I've never weighed feed.

If they were mine it would be hay pellets free choice hay (or near enough) and balanced.

At 16hh he must be around 525kg, feeding at 2.5% body weight he would need 13.125 kg a day
Assuming he'll get around 10kg of grass a day leaving 3.125kg of hard feed

I have him on 2 feeds a day considering he has grass all day and night. providing salt licks in paddocks

Am

1 kg luc chaff - providing energy, protein, calcium
1/2 kg hygain balanced

Pm

1 kg oats
1 kg luc chaff
1/2 kg hygain balanced

Hygain Balanced

Digestible Energy .......10.3 MJ/kg
Crude Protein.............25%
Crude Fat...................4%
Max Crude Fibre..........10%
Added Salt................. 1.5%
Calcium.....................3.2%
Phosphorous .............1.6%
Lysine........................20g/kg
Vitamin E................... 1500 mg/kg
Biotin .......................1100 IU/kg

The Second horse is a 13.2 hh 16yo pony working in a riding school. Working 6 days a week living a small paddock without a lot of grass.

assuming he's about 250kg in medium work but I'm feeding for high work considering age.

At 250kg he needs 5 kg of feed a day.

I have him on 3 feeds a day. plus a salt lick in paddock

Am
2kg grass hay , providing roughage and some energy

Noon
250g oaten chaff, low energy roughage
250g luc chaff, energy, protein, calcium
500g hygain balanced

pm
2 kg grass hay

Left Hand Percherons 01-02-2012 08:49 PM

Better. What is the purpose of the exercise? Are you supposed to be providing nutritional values for the diet?

Prinella 01-03-2012 01:30 AM

Its basically to show we know what how and when to feed but I find it quite difficult in the hypothetical.

Also not having a base to work from is interesting.

the exact wording is

describe a balanced daily ration:

State the horses approx weight, his daily needs in weight and list the content of each meal or meals

I took that to mean whats he being fed, how much of each feed and whats in it eg high energy some calcium