The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Half Lease, $700... 16.3h Irish Sport Horse Mare

6K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  gypsygirl 
#1 · (Edited)
I am a hunter/jumper trainer in the Sarasota, FL area (Clark rd).
I have a 20 year old, 16.3h Imported Irish Sport Horse coming out of retirement as a broodmare and I am looking for someone interested in half leasing her.

I am asking $700/month as that is exactly how much it costs me to board/feed/and care for her. I will include 1 lesson a week into the lease at no additional charge, if the rider is interested. If you choose to keep her at a different barn than the one I have chosen, then you will be paying for her board by yourself seperately, and the lease fee goes down to $300/month. SHE MUST STAY IN SARASOTA, FL!

This mare was once a top-of-the-line 4' equitation horse. Had training in the Grand Prix ring with Todd Minikus as a youngster. Knows up to 3rd level dressage. Once she gets back in shape (which admittedly may take a while), she will make an AWESOME 2'6" equitation horse or dressage horse for someone.

If you look at my picture albums you can see her showing in the past as well as a few recent pictures of her while she was passing inspection as a broodmare.

I'm happy to answer any questions!

See less See more
#4 ·
Why should anyone pay you for the "privilege" of tuning up your retired horse for you? If anything, it sounds to me like YOU should be the one paying for this mare to get some work... or at least offering a free deal to a talented rider who wants to spend the time with her.

Also, a "half lease" generally implies that the lessee pays HALF of the cost of keeping the horse so that they can ride the horse HALF of the time. Why on earth would they be expected pay the full cost of keeping the horse?

I apologize, but this is just one of my pet peeves that I hate to see.

#7 ·
well I was going to go buy my own horse, but I changed my mind. I would rather pay for you to keep your horse at an overly priced boarding barn. I will get a free lesson! :D Or weight I can give you $300 on top of paying for your horse if I move it to another barn. WOW what a bargain. Where do I sign?

#8 ·
As others have stated it is a half lease- meaning you pay half and they pay half. I live in Ny and $700 is undoubtedly an insane amount of money to ask for someone to half lease your 20 year old horse. Especially being she needs to be tuned up. I'd try lowering the price because you aren't going to find many willing average-joes wanting to pay you $700 a month. It doesn't even cost me that a month for my horse and I'm in NY. Just my $0.02
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Okay. I guess for those of you who do not understand how a nationally competing level A Circuit barns work, I will explain the typical boarding/leasing process.

Boarding is around $1,000 per month MINIMUM.
A regular lease fee for a made equitation horse, that can pack a child around the 2'9" with patience and also look good doing it, is around $50,000 per year.
Which comes out to slightly over $4,100 per month.
You would also normally be completely responsible for any vet care or maintenance done on the horse.

This horse has won at nationals on the A circuit. Has trained in the grand prix. Is currently (as in I can go saddle her right now and she will do this) in 3rd level dressage. Several vets have lameness tested her and all said give her a month and she will be awesome again.

So yes. $700 for this horse is a steal. Especially when including boarding, care, maintenance, and lessons.

#20 ·
Okay. I guess for those of you who do not understand how a nationally competing level A Circuit barns work, I will explain the typical boarding/leasing process.

Boarding is around $1,000 per month MINIMUM.
A regular lease fee for a made equitation horse, that can pack a child around the 2'9" with patience and also look good doing it, is around $50,000 per year.
Which comes out to slightly over $4,100 per month.
You would also normally be completely responsible for any vet care or maintenance done on the horse.

This horse has won at nationals on the A circuit. Has trained in the grand prix. Is currently (as in I can go saddle her right now and she will do this) in 3rd level dressage. Several vets have lameness tested her and all said give her a month and she will be awesome again.

So yes. $700 for this horse is a steal. Especially when including boarding, care, maintenance, and lessons.
I know nothing about jumpers but I didn't think 700 seamed unreasonable especially in FL.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm sorry but this is rediculous.
$700 a month for a HALF lease and for a 20 year old horse that maxes out at 2'6 is too much IMO.

So what if your horse DID the higher levels, she doesn't anymore. Your horse is valued at no more than $8-$10k at the MOST in "A" hunter circut land. You have no grounds to charge an extra fee to someone for basically getting your old retired horse back into shape; extra fees are reserved for horses doing the 3'6+ classes, high eq classes, Mclay classes, etc (something that can actually get you a national title). Not your average, everyday 2'6 hunter.

In case you didn't know...a HALF LEASE means you pay half for everything. I wouldn't even pay $700 for a full lease. Your basically trying to talk your horse up to be some great "A" circut champion, even though that's all in the PAST and now she can only do 2'6 OR dressage NOW.

My horse is on the "A" circut up in Canada (very very similar to the US circut, even more expensive since Can wasn't as affected by the downturned economy as the US was) and he does the 3'6 hunters, eq and qualifies for the Royal (like the Mclay finals). He's at a top barn with a top trainer and has a perfect show record for the past 2 years. He's also being half leased out..at $450/month.

"Several vets have lameness tested her and all said give her a month and she will be awesome again."
....So she's not even sound atm??
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
Glad it worked out so quickly for you!

As for 90% of you on this thread I'm kinda disappointed.. everyone just jumped on the defensive and threw it around.
Seeing this a lot, no wonder new people don't last long... help, don't bite. If you don't know, ask. Different places, different prices. I board cheap, I can't afford a €3000 a month board some can. Different people, different places, different monies.
Wind your necks in.. politely, of course.

#15 ·
I don't live in the US but I do belong and post on a board (forum) that is primarily hunter/jumper. I see what they post and what level/type of horse that wins at this level and they are not cheap...not for a proven one, even now in this economy.

The "A" circute in the US is in my opinion more competitive than in Canada and while I would not pay this amount I can see the market being there at this asking price.

Also maybe some that posted here didn't see the other option that they could take the horse to their barn to reduce the cost.

I good rider should be able to get this horse up to par over the next few months during the remainder of the winter and be ready in late spring.

My horse is 19 and out of shape also but could come back just as easily.

If there are no health issues with this horse I can see the benefit of a leaser taking this horse if they are unable to bring along a horse of the caliber to be able to do the "A" circuit.

People will do just about anything for points.

#16 ·
I personally wouldn't ever consider paying $700 for a half-lease but I have a friend that keeps her horse at a barn that is $1000 per month. It does include one lesson per week so a half lease would be $500 per month and 2 lessons if you split it evenly. I personally think THATS high but it's a top of the line facility with a very high level trainer so........

One question I would ask (If I were interested) would be, what exactly does that $700 per month cover and if it's a half lease, who am I sharing the horse with and how often do I ride? What expenses am I responsible for? etc.

#19 ·
Mudpie!

Just thought I'd lighten the mood! :happydance:

I know, I know... your day was just made.

Wanna see Mudpie doing his Star Wars impression?

He's Obi Wan Kenobi!!!!!!! :D :D :D :happydance:

Mudpie says, "You're welcome," for being so awesome:)

Reactions: MisssMarie
#23 ·
Do we really need more Mudpie? :wink:

Come one guys, lighten up! Mudpie's here! You're having a wonderful day because of it! SMILE!!! :hug:

Reactions: MisssMarie
#24 ·
If its 20, it already has arthritis. Every competition horse over the age of 8 or 10 has arthritis... what the vets likely meant is after a month of reconditioning the joints, the horse will be ready to jump and work. Just because you pluck your horse out of the field and expect it to be 100% sound in full work immediately doesn't mean that's how it works.

Anyways, seriously people?? I am a lot of the time shocked and appalled by how some of you respond to those who have spending money. I don't even know how to respond to any of you without sounding seriously rude... this thread is an example of shut your mouth if you don't know what you're talking about. I WISH half of my horse's monthly care and training was $700, despite the horse's age that is a very good price!

OP, if you ever log on again, good luck with your mare!
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Anebel, you hit the nail on the head....I can't believe a lot of what has been said either. Even if you do think the horses price is outrageous (Which, for a lot of these people, it's not) it is not necessary to come on and "inform" to her (I could use a better word but then I'd sound like one myself) about how much the cost SHOULD be, when clearly this poster already KNOWS a lot about this business and how it goes....Yeah it just doesn't make sense.

To the OP, I wish you a lot of luck, and please don't take this thread to heart....I promise once you get past the occasional mishap we're a ton of fun.

And to mudpie, yes, that did brighten me day ;D

#26 ·
IMO and IME in the top A show barns either in Virgina or Florida, it was not an unreasonable lease fee. I know that seems bizarre to folks with modest competitive goals or pleasure horses, but that is a fact of the business.

Back in the day, it was not unusual to $5 - $10 grand for a one month lease for a horse to qualify you for indoors; I have no idea what the going rate on that is now.

I understand that people are surprised and baffled by the costs associated with A rated showing, but I truly don't understand the hostility towards posters who compete at this level.

#28 ·
There are 27 replies to this Thread and aside from maybe 4 of you, it takes a lot of effort for me to not be extremely ****** at you all.

Before I go answering the unanswered questions (accusations) remaining, I would first like to point out the most painfully obvious fact that many of you have seemed to forget...
I am not asking your opinion. This is basically a classifieds sections. Did you want to request information on the horse being listed? No? Then what in the world are you replying for!? I'm not forcing you to cough up the money. So the great thing here is, if you don't like it, just leave the page.

churumbeque

You just said it yourself. You know nothing about jumpers. Why are you even posting on this page? This horse is obviously not meant for you.

saddlebag

How completely irresponsible of me would it have been to offer my horse up for lease, without first making sure it could handle the intense workout required to get her back in shape? Keep in mind, I am also watching her with the trained eye of a hunter/jumper instructor. She obviously currently does not have the muscle build of a fit jumper. So that's exactly how she moves. Muscles support the skeletal structure. And as anebel kindly pointed out, every jumping horse out there eventually develops arthritis. So naturally, hers is showing. Before leasing an out of shape horse, wouldn't you want to make sure it would handle the pounding you are planning on giving it? No. She is not lame. She does however move like a horse that has done a lot of jumping in the past and no has little muscle right now to support her.

blush

First, Canada's hunter/jumper circuit is not as competitive as the US. I have friends there that have gone to their top equitation finals and even they agree. They even drive down several times every year to compete in our shows. We do not do the same.
Second, you are either getting ripped off leasing your horse for $450/month or we are obviously not talking about the same caliber of horse. This horse cost me $150,000 to purchase, not including the
commissions. Even on her worst day, when she was jumping 3'6" I would have been seriously insulted by someone offering me $450/month for her. When I was showing as a junior rider, my family leased me a horse for the year for $7,000/month. Obviously you and I are not seeing things from the same viewpoint.

And just to clear it up, not that any of you actually asked to find out, but here it is anyways... the only reason I offered her at HALF lease was because I want to stay involved in her training and I want to make sure she is being managed properly. A full lease means you ship the horse off to where ever, wave good bye, and see you next year. No one is going to share the horse with the girl who decided to lease her. It's only her. And actually, $700 is less than half of her expenses. If anything happens, and that $700 does not cover the cost, that's too bad for me. As I clearly stated all her expenses are included in the lease fee. So I will be paying anything above that.

Now, having gotten all that out of the way, once again...
the horse has been leased. No need to tell me how ridiculous her price is or whatever other complaints you might have.

Thank you to the very few of you who actually responded with a brain. I just might walk away from this site not spitting acid every time I think "Horse Forum" but I'm not making any promises.

#29 ·
that really doesnt sound unreasonable to me. i trained a pony that now goes to pony finals and gets part leased for $10,000 for six months.

would i pay that ? no way, but i do eventing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.